• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Large Glass Panels

Sydcee

I have a customer that has a corner all glass storefront & wants to block out the glass. He originally mentioned the frost look but I believe the cost will scare them away. I was considering using a light grey vinyl on the inside for cost & being the glass is large & has to be paneled. Any Thought?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Instal drapes or partitioning walls. Solid vinyl could bust the glass out, due to various factors.

Sydcee

Instal drapes or partitioning walls. Solid vinyl could bust the glass out, due to various factors.
Drapes/Walls are not an option, I would use the glass etch but like I said the cost may be an issue not to mention the paneling. Have you ever used that heavy frosted media that I have seen on glass?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but if the guy can't afford it or anything else, no sense beating yourself up to do some cheap a$$ job for him. There is a point of walking away from things. This, seems like a no brainer.

rjssigns

I used iDot clear matte from BigFish for some interior office windows. Stuff installs like a dream and looks great.

Like Gino mentioned you would have to do some heat gain calcs to be safe. Not sure how that would work with a semi-opaque material though.

Sydcee

lol, I hear all of you, Thank You for the input. I would love to walk away (on most jobs) but they are going to be a neighbor. I don't feel breaking will be an issue. I was thinking a light grey vinyl on the interior may their only option.
I have had good & bad results with glass etch. Some large installs with the air egress GF have been great & then others leave marks, dark & light areas.??? Maybe the transfer tape???

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Which way do these windows face ??

For the most part, installing solid vinyl, light or dark, inside or outside doesn't make that much of a difference. If you are installing from near top to near bottom, sun cannot go through and dissipate the heat in the fashion it was meant to be. You can prevent heat buildup, but the vinyl will hold the heat and could easily cause breakage.

Do you want a happy neighbor or an angry one ??

If he can't afford the proper frosted vinyl, tell him he needs to do something on his own, til he can afford to do it...... or make the job into a 'Welcome to the Neighborhood' gift.

Sydcee

For the most part, installing solid vinyl, light or dark, inside or outside doesn't make that much of a difference. If you are installing from near top to near bottom, sun cannot go through and dissipate the heat in the fashion it was meant to be. You can prevent heat buildup, but the vinyl will hold the heat and could easily cause breakage.

If he can't afford the proper frosted vinyl, tell him he needs to do something on his own, til he can afford to do it...... or make the job into a 'Welcome to the Neighborhood' gift.

Sydcee

They face West with a soffit over it. They are 8' high x 20' wide, so I think I am going to suggest a running a 5' piece across the front. I know he won't get the whole glass blocked but could eliminate any problems & the paneling of the media.

No Gifts, LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You said it was a corner storefront. So one way faces west which gets all the afternoon and setting sun. Which way does the other window face ??

StarSign

I would be careful, just because he is your neighbor doesn't mean you should do the job. I would guide him to what will and won't work and why. Remember if he doesn't like it after the fact or something goes wrong there is a good chance that, when anyone asks him about the windows he is going to point the finger right at you. Don't tell me you can only afford a Pinto and then get mad when it doesn't look like a Porsche

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, at least there's not much of a heat buildup on that side.

Good luck.​
Don't make him sign any waivers or anything because it will look bad. Just have it in writing that he shouldn't do it, unless you feel 100% confident. Remember, you are the so-called professional and it's up to you to make sure people don't do stupid things.​

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
Don't do solid vinyl..... I had 10 windows crack at a business due to solid vinyl (even tho Avery told me it was okay to do)

Thank god for insurance, those windows were huge!

petepaz

if he is not going to do it right and you are going to do it wrong have him sign a waiver to help protect yourself. another option is talk to the landlord or building owner and recommend the correct way to do it so his windows don't break (i am assuming they rent the store space)

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
I gotta ask, did anybody come knocking on your door about the cost, or did the insurance company just say, "seems legit" and pay it out?

I let Avery, the glass company and the Insurance company deal with it all. Customer was happy in the end.

Joe House

He originally mentioned the frost look but I believe the cost will scare them away.
You've said this several times and I think you may be projecting your beliefs/feelings on your customer. Tell him the cost for Option A - frosted vinyl like he suggested then be prepared with options B and C if his eyes roll back in his head when you give him the price.