• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Large graphic - help!

SV Signworks

Morning!

I have a 54" cutter - and a graphic - single color - white that has no natural breaks in design. It's a 72" x 57 tall large circle. Will be cut, weeded and masked - installed on retail window. So all I can figure is I am going to have to overlap somewhere. I haven't been in this trade long enough to know - How much of an overlap is best 1/4, 1/2, 1...?

Or... should I consider print white onto clear? If so... who do you recommend outsourcing it to? Or is there a vendor that can cut - that size - we can weed and mask... or WWTPD - (What would the professionals do?)

Thank you.

De.signs Nanaimo

yes to both above, clear it with the client, and 1/4" overlap. I do outsource the occasional oversized cut to another sign shop, you could one piece that with white 60" vinyl.

bannertime

Just do it yourself with white vinyl and taped. 1/4in is just right like Tammie said. I'd also probably add some "+" marks right outside the decal that you can cut to help line up the graphic. A registration mark. It also depends on the artwork.

Edit: I thought it was 72 x 75. Whoops. That's be easy on a 60in plotter and look better. I'm sure someone closer could help you out. I don't stock 60in, just 48in.

SV Signworks

Thanks - Yes, absolutely will talk with client - but wanted to check on my options first.
And DUH YES! a 60 inch would work! WISH I'd thought of it! :D I'll see if the anyone within my area has one. SWEET !
And thank you for the 1/4" info. I was thinking 1/8 but thought that didn't allow for any shrink and this is in a direct sun location.
Thank you all!

unclebun

Paneled graphics have been done since vinyl for signs came out, and it looks fine. The overlap can be 1/4" or 1/2" and if you install it well, people will not notice it unless they are really close and looking for it.

De.signs Nanaimo

Paneled graphics have been done since vinyl for signs came out, and it looks fine. The overlap can be 1/4" or 1/2" and if you install it well, people will not notice it unless they are really close and looking for it.
Yes but they are for windows, from inside you get a dark line in the graphics, sometimes you don't have a choice, but the client needs to know before the graphics go up.

ikarasu

Do you.have 60" material? While.not the funnest to do... If the design allows.it, load the 60 and cut 54" on Your plotter leaving the last 3" open and Uncut.

Cut it in a separate piece...put it on your vinyl and hand cut. If it's just a circle cutting the last 3" should be easy. I do it all the time, while cursing that I wasn't there when they purchased a 54" cutter and 54" laminator... And a 72" printer.

SV Signworks

Do you.have 60" material? While.not the funnest to do... If the design allows.it, load the 60 and cut 54" on Your plotter leaving the last 3" open and Uncut.

Cut it in a separate piece...put it on your vinyl and hand cut. If it's just a circle cutting the last 3" should be easy. I do it all the time, while cursing that I wasn't there when they purchased a 54" cutter and 54" laminator... And a 72" printer.
You know... that’s not a half assed bad idea. I also just realized that I don’t actually know if my cutter goes beyond 54. It came with the shop purchase... It might. Printer doesn't. Checking that today. Thanks.

SV Signworks

We completed the install - and the 1/4 inch overlap isn't visible at all unless you are truly looking for it. Thank you guys - really appreciated

Attachments

• p.jpg
    p.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 237