• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large graphics single person install

gnubler

I'm doing a job that calls for a vinyl panel installed on a trailer, measuring 6ft wide x 4ft tall. In a single person install would you hinge from the top or the side? I did an even wider one on a window last year, and needed a second pair of hands to hold the rolled material and pull the liner away and I squeegeed. This current job is located an hour away in a remote location and I'd prefer to handle the whole job on my own. Would premasking the vinyl help prevent wrinkles at all? Normally I wouldn't mask a big piece of vinyl like this. Will be printed on IJ180 (cast).

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah, premask on thin vinyls with air egress is a nightmare. Center hinge would work well here, though if it's 6' wide, I'd do the left foot or two, leaving the right significantly longer, so I could either roll it and remove the back as I go, or pull it taut, tape it down, then use the backer as a second set of hands to hold it off the trailer as you go.
1692897664303.png

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Laminate it, but don't mask it. I agree with Gino - Center hinge - but I would think that you start in the center and work out to the side, then go back to the center and work out to the other side.

gnubler

Burton - I might try that. Have never taped the opposing end down, always rolled it up, which is hard to juggle for one person. Center hinge and one side at a time sounds good.

I did a large-ish window recently, probably similar dimensions but portrait orientation, so I started with a top hinge, then worked top to bottom and just let the panel hang down. It got windy and things suddenly became un-fun. Ended up with a few wrinkles on that one.

JBurton

Signtologist
but I would think that you start in the center and work out to the side, then go back to the center and work out to the other side.
That is a center hinge, gino just meant stick the left side then the right.
Have never taped the opposing end down, always rolled it up,
Yeah, holding a 4' tall roll up as you're looking at your squeegee is hard, this way you can stop, grab the backer, and twist, which will roll the backer up and work with a minimally exposed adhesive layer. By the time you get to the last foot or two, you can remove all the liner and work it more easily. Also, starting with a smaller area on the first half of the hinge makes that initial pull and stick that much easier. Just be sure to use plenty of tape on the far end, don't want it letting go!
I also highly recommend SLX over ij180 in this heat. With that stuff you could nearly pull all the backer and slap it at the trailer, then pull up and lay down to get the wrinkles out (don't do this).

Stacey K

I like making signs
I do this all the time alone. Either way will work fine. If it's not windy I would just center hinge and take all the backing paper off the left side then do the right side. 3' is manageable to hold. If it's windy then do Burtons way.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever used a Big Squeegee for an install on a trailer if it's smooth sided? I wonder if it would work similar to doing a sign panel?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I do this all the time alone. Either way will work fine. If it's not windy I would just center hinge and take all the backing paper off the left side then do the right side. 3' is manageable to hold. If it's windy then do Burtons way.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever used a Big Squeegee for an install on a trailer if it's smooth sided? I wonder if it would work similar to doing a sign panel?

Yes, several times, if they don't have rivets or screws and used thick/rigid siding materials. Also, in the middle of it, had to switch to a 12" squeegee if things didn't stay absolutely flat. It's the same as using a long squeegee in silk screening when doing window lettering.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I go top to bottom, gravity is your second set of hands and there is no worry about drooping in the middle. Tape the whole top, pull the backer down about 1/4-1/2 way then work your way down using your hand to slightly pull it down and hold it tight as you work across Like burtons picture but top down.

Unless you're an orangutan, I don't see how you could keep 6' wide material from touching where it shouldn't. Perhaps you have a mouse in your pocket...... or whatever you call it, now.

Billct2

I do it like J Burton described. Line it up, tape in place. Apply 2-3 feet. Roll it up start working the otehr way pulling liner off as you go, slicing it off when it gets unwieldy.

gnubler

Sickos.

The top hinge method that notareal is describing isn't as easy as it sounds, I'm sure we've all tried that. I'm thinking the center hinge one side at a time is gonna be easier.

gnubler

I haven't. You'd def need to hold it with two hands to keep it smooth and steady, and then how do you pull the liner away?
I have enough problems with the Big Squeegee on my table and don't bother with it as much as I used to.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I do like Burton said, but the opposite direction. If I'm working with air egress, I'll sometimes take the entire backer off once it's hinged...and pull the vinyl taught instead of holding the roll