Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

large HDU install questions

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by mangsigns, Oct 9, 2012.

1. mangsigns

mangsigns New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Hi there,

I have a few large 2" HDU pieces to install into stucco and the customer wants a 2" standoff. My first thought is to use 8" long studs with gem pads so I'd have about 5.5 inches of stud into the wall. Is there a more practical way to do this install?

C-LOS GREEN
    :guido:

2. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    You might want to consider adhering a rigid back on the HDU... Either MDO or polymetal, depending on the size of the signs.

3. mangsigns

mangsigns New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    rigid backer

the signs are various shapes roughly 2.5' x 3'...my thought is that if I use construction adhesive to glue the studs into the foam, about 8-12 studs would be fine. But the backer is now making more and more sense safety wise. Will the foam fail eventually?

:thumb:

4. Eric H

Eric H Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    You don't need to back up a wall mounted sign that size and thickness. If you want to use studs drill oversize holes in the hdu and use epoxy to hold the studs in.

5. tbullo

tbullo Superunknown

Apr 5, 2012
    VA
    Epoxy the studs into the back.