• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Magnetic Signs

surf city

Ok got a painter that is looking to have some mag signs made. I usually do 24"x18" for most of those kind of truck mag signs. He left me a message about 1/2 hour ago asking if he could get 48"x22" mag signs for his truck. Anyone every do large magnetic signs like this? Will they stay on the vehicle? Thanks in advance for any input, I appreciate it.

Billct2

I've done them, though suggested strongly against them,they're a disaster waiting to happen. They'll stay on, but will eventually be ruined in the handling taking them off and on and storing them. I've seen the results, it's not pretty.

tomence

I have done few of them and like Billct2 said is disaster waiting to happen.
Just let the cutomer know is not the greatest idea. Also bigger doesnt mean better.

I agree that its a disaster waiting to happen. A customer at the old job insisted on some magnetic decals for a bus, I think the finished size was approximately 15 in x 16 ft. After seeing how much the finished magnets actually weighed they became very concerned about the magnet flying off the bus and striking another vehicle. We eventually cut the magnets up into smaller more manageable sizes. It was easier for them to store, easier to assemble on the van and it really didn't look any worse than the original. Not sure if that would work for you or not.

ddubia

I did one similar size for each side of a customer's van. It was over 2 years ago and they're still stuck. I doubt he's ever taken them off so chances are he'd need a chisel to get them off now.

But as others have said about the potential disaster. I didn't want to do it then and probably wouldn't do it again. At the price it may as well be a vinyl job right on the vehicle. If they don't want a vinyl job applied to the vehicle then I'd now suggest smaller magnetic signs.

Maybe it's no problem. But it seems highly likely it could be.

surf city

Thanks all, I apprciate the advice. I didn't think it was a good idea but wanted to see what other people thought. Although I don't think he would ever take them off his van, but advised him that it was not a good size for magnetics.

thmooch

I have manufactured these @ 2'x4', but only under the stipulation being for a stationary vehicle or container. If these fly off of a moving vehicle...watch out!

heyskull

Surf City
It seems pointless having magnetics on a vehicle that he is never going to take off.
Talk him into normal graphics on the side
I tell all my customers of magnetics that they need to be taken of often, cleaned and to clean the panel they are fitted to.
I talk most of my magnetics out of having magnetics.

SC

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What we've suggested successfully is that we letter the vehicle and then we supply them with blank magnets to cover up the graphics when necessary. That way the magnets can be a more manageable size and are much easier to store at home or work until needed.

jiarby

We do the same thing Fred, but use banner material to cover up. Sometimes with magnets, someties rope or bungees.

Usually it is a guy with an HOA that has to cover up he vehicle graphics.

surf city

Oh I totally agree, I would much rather just letter the van than make the magnets. He requested the magnetic signs and he is out of state. As for the whole HOA thing, My brother lives in FLA and has a HOA that states no lettered vehicles so after we lettered his truck we used mag blanks to cover up the lettering every night. He hates it and so does the HOA.