• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LARGE Magnetics

psbc2009

What is maximum size for magnetics on a vehicle without having problems.
Have a customer that wants to go big, not sure on max size?? I normally use magnum magnetics but open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

Circleville Signs

Lots of issues to take into account - the biggest one being the surface and intended speeds. Personally, I won't make anything more than 3sf in total size. Standard 12"x24"'s blow off all the time - imagine if a big old 24"x48" were to come flying off at highway speeds?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If they wanna go so big, why not talk them into going direct and saving money by not buying the magnetic in addition ??

If they wanna use the vehicle for other things and take them off constantly, explain to them at such a huge size, they will be doing much harm to the paint job on their vehicle and it would behoove them to go with the normal size of 12" x 24", until they can use it 100% for the business and do it correctly, by going directly on the vehicle.

psbc2009

I was thinking the direct route as well. Meeting with them later today, need more details. And no I do not want to see a 24x48 at highway speeds, LOL.

Locals Find!

I order magnets at 18x24 all the time for Realtors I have yet to have one come off and I know first hand some of these guys fly down the road at twice the speed limit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I order magnets at 18x24 all the time for Realtors I have yet to have one come off and I know first hand some of these guys fly down the road at twice the speed limit.

That's not considered oversized or huge in anyone's book. You're not addressing the OP's request whatsoever.

TwoNine

130....140 MPH is pretty fast for a magnetic....

;)

-Chad

Max Magnetic....we are there to protect the customer with good advice...direct route is the best way to go, but if he says NO...he can't blame you!

sar bossier

If you sell anything bigger than standard size, I would highly recommend a waiver, signed, that it is an "AS IS" product, and NO warranty against loss or theft is offered.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you sell anything bigger than standard size, I would highly recommend a waiver, signed, that it is an "AS IS" product, and NO warranty against loss or theft is offered.

I would never warranty any magnetics against theft.... let alone loss of any sort..... for any reason.

Fading, curling, or misspelled words are a different story.

sar bossier

I would never warranty any magnetics against theft.... let alone loss of any sort..... for any reason.

Fading, curling, or misspelled words are a different story.

I agree, and, personally, don't either, but I have had customers TRY to get a free replacement, and have seen other shops, that don't state no replacement in writing get rooked.

BBworks

In our town we have some horrible sign bylaws (some streets dont allow commercial vehicles parked in the driveway, even the owner of the property). So we have made some large magnetics in the past for tradesmen who have to remove their graphics, generally they dont last long, rounding the corners of all magnetics helps to keep them from pulling off, we try to stick to 12x24's.
Some tradesmen actually do the reverse. put vehicle graphics on the vehicle and when parked at home they cover the name with a piece of magnet.

tagsigns

Sell them the largest one that will fit onto a flat, no body line area of their vehicle. Let them know that once they put it on it is their responsibility... so if it becomes a sail it's their money.

*** remember... you can't fix stupid ***

showcase 66

I did for a ford van 2 24" x 40" Magnets that have been in use for just over 2 years. I gave them a print out with magnet care and before even making them, I warned them about how magnets can damage the vehicle if not cared for and that they could fly off if they go on the highway.

They were really good on the care for about 3 months and since then, they had never been taken off of the van until about a week ago. Peeled about a square foot of paint off of the one side. They were pissed but he said he should have listened. The biggest problem he had was that the magnets eventually buckled up. Almost like they started to shrink from the vinyl or something.

He is getting the panel repainted and then we are applying to the van this time.

allamericantrade

I drove a company van for years that had (2) 24x48 magnets. They where on so long they bonded to the paint. Drove 70MPH with no issues too many times to count. As the company owner of a sign shop now, I would not create that size myself without some kind of waiver in place. Better make sure the surface is totally flat. I know from others that signarama near me installs clear packaging tape to the edges of their magnets to the vehicle on their magnets and recommends their customers to always tape the front edge (Not a fan of the Idea, thought it looked like crap when I saw it, But if you can sell it why not? lol).

psbc2009

OK, turns out client has a large smoker on a trailer and wants the large magnetics for events he does. Outer surface remains cool and he can install when he gets to destination. May go with decals.
Thanks for all the replys.