Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large outdoor Banners

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Chuck7772, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Chuck7772

Chuck7772 silverback

Jul 10, 2018
    Bucks county
    hello I have been in the business for about 7 yrs and i have made many banners from 2x3 to 2x20. i was just asked for a price of a banner 10ftx 20ft to be attached to a building. like the picture attached to this thread. What do you suggest? !3 0z, 15 oz 18 oz scrim or do you use a mesh banner? i am going to have grommet ever ft on all sided but not sure what's the best to hold up. thank you in advance for the help. large-custom-outdoor-banners-advertising-signs-large-outdoor-banner-1092x910 (1).jpg What do you suggest? !3 0z, 15 oz 18 oz scrim or do you use a mesh banner? i am going to have grommet ever ft on all sided but not sure what's the best to hold up. thank you in advance for the help.

2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    We've done lots of Mesh and 13oz this size and never had any issues. Kind of depends how it's being installed how much reinforcement you put into it around the edges and corners though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

if its flat mount, 13oz is fine, if client is expecting long term, go thicker.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    MEEESSSHHHHHHHHHHH! Mesh is SOOO much easier for large banners like this. They are much lighter in weight and easier to keep taught without wrinkles. I put up a 6'x50' a few weeks back and thankfully it was mesh.. I could lift it myself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

A 10 x 20 13oz banner would give you troubles??

6. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Best place for a seamless banner up to 16ft is echodgraphics

7. TheDude77

TheDude77 New Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Tulsa, OK
    We do banners of this size fairly regularly and 13 oz has always held up well. Mesh work really we also but in my opinion doesn't present as well as a solid printed banner. Usually the only trouble we have being in Oklahoma is the wind, and the grommets tearing out. On large banners we usually run pockets top and bottom and run conduit, steel pipe, or wooden dowels (depending on size and strength required). This method gives even distribution of the weight and better appearance as there aren't continuous stress creases from the grommets. If wind or stress is a factor we typically use 1000 denier over the 750.

8. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Banners tend to be too heavy at that size when you go 15oz or higher and the weight will tear the grommets out.
    I would go mesh or a high scrim 13oz, have strapping sewn into the hemming and might request D rings on the the four corners. The largest banner I subbed out was for a Rolling Stones concert, I want to say it was 40' x 60' mesh with those specks and had no issues.