• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Picture For Wall 24' L X 10' H Where To Start?

wrap91x

I have a freind who would like a mural of a city skyline and I have a few questions( I have Epson R5070)

1. What is the best resolution and pass count to print at ?
2. It is going on painted sheetrock office wall.. I have Arlon DPF8000 Ultra Tack Is that too much? Any better materials
3. How much over lap should I print?
4. Any other tips for making a print like this?
5. Best way to scale picture to look decent at that size?

Thanks

I am new to this

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
The best wall film out there is Retac from Drytac. If the wall is primed and painted, you can throw this material on the wall and it will remove cleanly even years later. It is 6mils thick - no stretch - so it is easy to apply. It comes in a Smooth, Canvas, Linen, and Sand finish. The textures hide the imperfections in the wall. Prints well, applies well, and years later, you won't have to repair the wall when you want to change it or remove it. You also don't laminate the textured finishes saving you time and money.

Manuel Upton

I have a freind who would like a mural of a city skyline and I have a few questions( I have Epson R5070)

1. What is the best resolution and pass count to print at ?
2. It is going on painted sheetrock office wall.. I have Arlon DPF8000 Ultra Tack Is that too much? Any better materials
3. How much over lap should I print?
4. Any other tips for making a print like this?
5. Best way to scale picture to look decent at that size?

Thanks

I am new to this
We normally use Arlon 4600 and 3420 matte lam with 1/2" overlap. We just did a 10'x80' wall with no issues. Arlon does have a list of recommended and not recommended paints that you should check out if you go that route.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Did you really just recommend calendared vinyl with calendared lam for a wall???

You will have shrinkage and glue lines, it will be a mess in 6 months. Use a wall product on walls...

Manuel Upton

Did you really just recommend calendared vinyl with calendared lam for a wall???

You will have shrinkage and glue lines, it will be a mess in 6 months. Use a wall product on walls...
Someone at Arlon recommended it to me years ago, and if you go on Arlon's website it is one of their interior wall wrap vinyls so it IS a wall product. We've been using it for years with no issues. We also been using it on basic vehicle graphics (not wraps) for years with 3170 laminate with no issues. Maybe we've just been lucky.

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Normally I'd tend to agree BUT......................... we use 3M 40C + Avery 2080 matte for all our interior wall wraps and haven't had any failures/issues. Just about to run a couple rolls worth tomorrow.

Printed w/ UV so it doesn't shrink like heavy coverage solvent prints.

CanuckSigns

Normally I'd tend to agree BUT......................... we use 3M 40C + Avery 2080 matte for all our interior wall wraps and haven't had any failures/issues. Just about to run a couple rolls worth tomorrow.

Printed w/ UV so it doesn't shrink like heavy coverage solvent prints.
I agree, we use arlon 4600lx with matte lam for all our permanent wall graphics, no issues over the last 10 years in very high traffic hospitals.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Phototex Opaque material for printing on. Use 1" overlaps on your vertical panels in your rip.
Get a high res image from any of the stock sites, purchase Gigapixel AI for upscaling it as large as possible.
Set up a blank photoshop file at 100 DPI for printing, 2" larger all around than your actual wall measurements and drop the upscaled image into that.
Save as a flattened tiff file, no compression.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Roodle 6mil wall vinyl, no laminate

Attachments

• 1686446188989.jpeg
    1686446188989.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 64

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I'd be worried about a wall with no laminate, especially in somewhere like a hospital or school that gets cleaned all the time.
My entire shop is wrapped in the Arlon 4200 Wallpaper. No issues. We don't clean it regularly, but I just wiped down the restroom walls with a rag with alcohol on it. Nothing came off. That wallpaper has been on the wall for about a year now.

CC-CMYK

We’ve been doing wall wraps for 10 years with 3m 40c-20 and Avery 2080 matte laminate. It works great. We use this in our Epson r5070 and HP latex 365.

ikarasu

Glad to see lots of people mention the 5070.... Seems like people are slow to adopt it!

Anyway.... Nothing wrong with Calander on a wall. There's 2 types of Calander, monomeric and polymeric.

Monomeric vinyl is prone to shrinkage - it can still be used indoors... But if you use it outdoors it'll shrink in the heat pretty quick.

Polymeric vinyl is much less prone to shrinkage... It's not as good as cast vinyl, but it's perfectly suitable for wall graphics, especially indoors.

Most name brands use polymeric....only the cheaper, imported stuff is monomeric. I wouldn't touch monomeric vinyl with a 10 ft poll, isn't worth saving a few bucks on - polymeric vinyl we've used on thousands of walls over the years and never had an issue.

CC-CMYK

Glad to see lots of people mention the 5070.... Seems like people are slow to adopt it!

Anyway.... Nothing wrong with Calander on a wall. There's 2 types of Calander, monomeric and polymeric.

Monomeric vinyl is prone to shrinkage - it can still be used indoors... But if you use it outdoors it'll shrink in the heat pretty quick.

Polymeric vinyl is much less prone to shrinkage... It's not as good as cast vinyl, but it's perfectly suitable for wall graphics, especially indoors.

Most name brands use polymeric....only the cheaper, imported stuff is monomeric. I wouldn't touch monomeric vinyl with a 10 ft poll, isn't worth saving a few bucks on - polymeric vinyl we've used on thousands of walls over the years and never had an issue.
Thanks for this insight. I haven’t really looked into the differences in the types of calendar films. We’ve just always stayed with 40c because it works and so many others agree. I’m interested if you have any suggestions on comparable film that is cheaper?

ikarasu

Thanks for this insight. I haven’t really looked into the differences in the types of calendar films. We’ve just always stayed with 40c because it works and so many others agree. I’m interested if you have any suggestions on comparable film that is cheaper?
40C is our goto as well. You could use 35C.. but it'll rip some paint off when you remove it!

We use some Nekoosa Wall vinyl for walls, it's a bit cheaper... but we only bring it in on big projects as we have dozens of rolls of IJ40 on hand, so no point in stocking another product unless we have to.

Action Mary

One thing to think of is the wall itself. Found out the hard way, some paint will not let the vinyl stick, no matter what kind of vinyl you use. We did an install job (the other sign company supplied the vinyl) and the vinyl started coming off the wall. This was not my first rodeo, neither was it theirs. Turned out, midway through construction, the business decided that for this location, instead of washable paint on the walls, they wanted the same look as another store, which was a printed textured vinyl. The other sign company had done this on a few other stores and all was fine. No one told them that the GC started to paint the walls with the wrong paint. He used washable paint he had already purchased for this location, and thought no one would know the difference. I had to go back three times to scrub where I could, and put up two sided tape to hold up the top of the vinyl so it wouldn't peel down anymore on one wall. I did get paid for every time I went back, but it drove me crazy trying to figure out what was happening. FYI - the GC finally fessed up, but the damage was already done.