• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Plastic Rivets?

jfiscus

Rap Master
A customer brought a box truck by for a wrap quote a few days ago & we are getting finalized on the design now, but I am still concerned about the large plastic rivets on the box. They are smooth white plastic(?) rivets, almost like white teflon possibly? Has anyone else dealt with these? I assume I can wrap over them and heat into conformation, but I was just concerned about no adhesion to the rivets leading to the vinyl over them expanding & contracting with temperatures leading to failure over time.

Attachments

• rivets.jpg
    rivets.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 159

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The few we've done on that surface.... we've removed the caps from the inside with phillips I think... and applied our graphics and put them back on afterwards and painted the caps accordingly. You try to make sure nothing important or intricate is going to hit them.

The very first one we did like this never stayed down completely on all the caps. Something like 3 or 4 popped while others remained in tact. So, we just never took the chance again.

k.a.s.

They are a pain, you might be able to wrap them but I'm not sure how well they will stick in the long run. In the past I cut around them and painted them to match the vinyl, it was a solid color though.

Kevin

jfiscus

Rap Master
Thanks for the ideas - this is a pretty busy wrap, so many may hit important elements or other things that would be hard to match easily. Anyone else have suggestions?

dolce05

we dont wrap over them. We make sure the customer understands they will be cut around. Our design is made with these in thought and we have accurate measurements where they are located so they dont hit on an important area.

The angle of the edges is too steep to wrap over without using primer 94 and relief cuts. We feel its a waste of valuable time and I provided a pic to show they pretty much disappear after the entire vehicle is done.

Attachments

• shells01.jpg
    shells01.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 146

Malkin

I have wrapped right over them with a solid panel of 3M electrocut vinyl, but it was very time consuming and I wouldn't want to do it again.