Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large Vinyl Install advise

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by Stormyj, Nov 21, 2020 at 3:16 PM.

1. Stormyj

Stormyj Member

Jan 20, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Hi all.
    Looking for some advise. Installing Oracal 24" by 12' on a piece of Polycarb. Text is cut out so the entire sign will be covered in the vinyl with letters removed. Ive never installed on such a large sign with reverse cut vinyl like this. My plan is to lay the poly on the workbench with vinyl alongside. Remove backing from vinyl and spray with rapidtac and spray poly with rapidtac. Flip vinyl over onto poly and squeegee out the rapidtac while aligning. Any advice on this? Do you do it a different way that is easier? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Jim
    PS
    Ive attached a link to a sign where you can see what Im talking about. The letters have been removed so you see the white poly underneath. Just in case there was any confusion. https://images.app.goo.gl/VbAE1NSK3LNv5pBo6

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    We would use a similar technique for something that size. Make sure you soak the adhesive and lexan down real good, go over everything lightly first to get most of the Rapid Tac out then work your way out from the center with firm pressure. I personally like starting with a larger squeegee like these: https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/co...-CPA-1-5-per-box/?N=5002385+3293665058&rt=rud then go back with a nice teflon squeegee to get all the bubbles/liquid out.
    Your premask will behave differently in the open areas so just be careful when going over those. Peel back premask as soon as you can then go over everything again with teflon squeegee with Rapid Tac on the vinyl surface to lubricate it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stormyj

Stormyj Member

Jan 20, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I wasnt even going to use premask. Just the vinyl. On something that large, do people use premask?

4. Stormyj

Stormyj Member

Jan 20, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Come to think of it, it would make it a lot easier

5. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Use application tape and apply it dry. This should be a standard skill for any sign person.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Aren't the letters knocked out? If you don't premask there won't be anything to hold it together....

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Does RapidTac have alcohol in it?
    If so, it could cause crazing on the polycarb and/or bubbling of the vinyl after a few days/weeks as it outgasses.
    Never happened to me, but have heard things around here about it in the past.

8. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    we cut, weed and mask it. lay the vinyl on the poly and line it up and then hinge it in the middle. flip it over on either side of hinge and cut thru backing and peel back about 2' and start dry squeegee til we get to end and then do other end

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    I have one of those cheap Chinese manual laminators. Crank the top roller up, put the poly in with the vinyl laid out on it and
    line them up. let the top roller down. When you put the top roller down the alignment cant get off. Then I peel the liner back about 8" on one end, roll the liner under
    and roll that end out of the laminator. Then roll it back through from that same end, pulling the liner off as you go.

Perfect results every time.

OR I just Break this bad boy out.
    [​IMG]

The best $3.00 I ever spent at Harbor Freight. Will apply anything 24" or less, perfectly.
    Stick one end, and push the liner out from under it as you lay it down.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stormyj

Stormyj Member

Jan 20, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I hold the inside of letters until installed then apply them later. But I think im going with the premask.

11. Stormyj

Stormyj Member

Jan 20, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Its 10ft long

12. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I thought you said 12'? 10' shouldn't be any more difficult than doing 3' or 50' it's the same motion. Watch some vinyl application videos. I must be missing something here.. applying vinyl is the first thing you learn when doing signs. And I have no idea why you're asking about not using application on cut vinyl letters, that makes no sense. Do you have ANY experience doing signs?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  13. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    We do lots of 10-20 ft applications by hand.

For something like this... We would rapid tac it and do it on the rolls roller, just because it'd take 1 minute instead of 10 and it's so easy a monkey could do it without bubbles.

If you have no rolls roller... Do it 50/50 wet applied with a laminator.

I don't see why you wouldn't use application tape... For the cost of it, less risk and time than if you don't and you're manually putting the inside letters down... And it'd look better. Not to mention, it'll help prevent the vinyl from streetching. 10 ft of application tape is like a buck.

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    No idea how one would lay 2' × 12' of die-cut translucent vinyl down without application tape....... wet or dry application.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Transfer tape and big squeggee. As others said,line up and center hinge. Do one side then other. Dry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

May 7, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I did an 18" x 9 ft yesterday dry actually by hand mo rolls roller. Dont know if I would try 24" x 12 ft
    But it's only material to try again

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

May 7, 2019
    Wisconsin
    When using your chinese roller, how do you keep it tracking ? Seems like it would not line up properly. That is why I never use a roller, just hand and eye

18. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    If you lift the roller and slide the substrate under it, with the vinyl on top. Line the vinyl up on the substrate, then let the roller down. It wont move, and will track perfect.

19. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    As others said, use premask and the center hinge method, wet apply. What a mess without premask...I don't understand that.

20. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    Wouldn't even think about doing it without mask. That would be just plain dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2