• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Large vinyl installation

Markus13126

Morning fellas,
I don't post much and am just a reader . I find myself trying to quote something im not to sure of, bried story below. Thank you

I have a "budlight" box truck thats currently wrapped. Client does not want to strip it, he bought it used and doesnt want to see whats under lol. So, hes wanting to cover up the middle bud light section only and utilize the rest as part of design pallet for party rentals. Heres my problem.. the cover up would be like 18' long and approx 36 wide...if I do it in manageable lengths im worried how straight it would appear that long. (Like 4 x 5'pieces)

The wrap is in pretty good shape and one side has a door. Looking for some insight on different approaches to this..thank you.

Ps not looking for pricing , just install options

Thank you all

Markus

Attachments

• 20190422_162129.jpg
    20190422_162129.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 347

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You can tile your vinyl for smaller manageable sizes. If you use a ruler and a straight edge you should be able to get it on straight (if not, hire someone who can).

Two bigger concerns would be the opacity of your vinyl and how long it will last over the existing installation. I simply would not cover existing vinyl without a disclaimer of some sort. It is likely to fail in a few months. The new vinyl will put new tensions on the now brittle existing vinyl (the plasticizers have likely migrated out by this time compromising both the vinyl and the adhesive). Also most vinyl will not be opaque enough to block out the old message.

Markus13126

Most certainly a disclaimer and I have already advised the client of this. I did mention smaller manageable pieces as an option thank you... it would be printed to match the light blue and has got the grey permanant adhesive. Pretty opaque. Thanks greatly for all your insights. I may call this one off yet lol

ikarasu

Use a vinyl with controltac. You can do it all in one piece pretty easily. I'd print it to match the light blue... then I'd use the top of the blue outline on the truck as a guide. Tack the top left... Tack the top right, make sure every 6-12" is aligned to the top of the blue border... Then just start laying the vinyl down. So long as you don't do it on a super hot day, you should be fine.

Or if you're worried you don't have the skill level to do it, or you want to use really cheap vinyl... Buy a roll of knifeless tape. It's about $20 for 150 FT... You could use the knifeless and follow the line of the border... Laydown vinyl a good 6-10 inches overtop of the border... Pull the tape, and it should be perfectly straight and smooth.

So long as you can lay down vinyl, option #2 would work and would cost you less than a $20 roll to do both sides.

Markus13126

Thanks for the reply...

Yeah 3m control tac printed but I was going to use the darker blue the lighter seems way better with knifeless tape. Its not thatvi dont have the skills to do it straight...its that looking at a line from 20' away shows everything like down the road when its that long.

Light blue sounds like a plan...thanks greatly for the insight

Markus

ikarasu

Sometimes it's not even about skill. The idea of messing up is nerve racking... Wasting that big piece of vinyl over a tiny mistake and having to start over from scratch. You could do a hundred vinyl wraps a day and have the skill of a veteran pro, but never attempted something like this before.

If you've ever used knifeless it's great for something like this though. Spend the extra time to make sure the knifeless is laid where you'd like your vinyl to end... Double check your measurements to make sure it's straight... Then you can half ass throw the vinyl on-top. So long as you have coverage past the knifeless it's a 30 second pull and it'll look perfectly straight. It'll probably be quicker than doing it the normal way, since you don't have to align a 18 ft Piece.

We do lots of wayfinding projects. Most of them consist of a 12-24" wide stripe following a wall across the whole building..were talking 2-300 ft in the same position on the wall. so putting up stripes like this is easy for us. The most important step is preparation... We spend more time measuring and taping up the vinyl making sure everything looks perfect before we start applying it.

I think using knifeless and aligning to light blue stripe is the quickest and best bet though.