• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Wall Mural

NotADesigner

I'm new to the wide format arena, but jumping in the deep end.

One of our clients is wanting a roughly 40' x 6' wall graphic installed in a hallway, I believe over wallpaper. We have given them some Oracal for texting purposes, but it looks like Phototex is the recommended media for this type of install? I have not worked with Phototex, but I'm trying to find out more information about it at the moment.

Anyways, what would you use, and how would you install it? There is going to be some die-cutting around the edge of the graphic, but the graphic itself is one solid piece.

For what it's worth, we're printing on an Epson S70.

Also, what would you charge for install on this? Based on some other posts I have read here about Phototex, I'm roughly guessing it'll be 4-6 hours if I can practice in our office beforehand and become "competent".

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
wall graphics

wow. what is the condition of the wallpaper? are you laminating the final print? i would be worried about the weight of the new prints pulling on old wallpaper.
worse, pulling the transfer tape off the cut parts. you are gonna need a low tack tape...
good luck
-mosher

rfulford

The best solution would be to remove the wallpaper, print and install new wallpaper. The better wallpaper pastes crystalize once dry and remove cleanly.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
phototex, no need to remove wall paper. no need to worry about transfer tape, and no need to worry about learning curve.

you can apply with your hands and it takes about 5 minutes to get used to it.

use the opaque version then you don't have to worry about seems/overlap

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
phototex, no need to remove wall paper. no need to worry about transfer tape, and no need to worry about learning curve.

you can apply with your hands and it takes about 5 minutes to get used to it.

use the opaque version then you don't have to worry about seems/overlap

+1

The biggest problem your going to have is keeping from running up or down hill in 40 feet and lining up panels, and that shouldn't be that bad. It will make it easier to line up the panels if you set your overlaps away from small text, high contrast areas, and faces if possible.

judead

You are going to have to check the ceiling to make the install easy. If it is level you know you have the perfect straight edge to start off of don't make the mistake of just checking in one place either. Be sure to have a 1/2" overlap obviously or you will be hating life if you forget. I would be a little concerned with the wallpaper as it could pose a problem. I would make sure before you tackle it you give the customer two prices one for doing it the right way one for just going over wallpaper. If you go over wallpaper you obviously are not responsible for it peeling off the wall with the old wallpaper and this needs to be conveyed to the customer. If the ceiling is level you need to then look and see what is the lowest point in the wall. Whatever that measurement is I would add 6" to top and bottom for bleed especially since you are new. I would do the same on the end pieces as well. This needs to be in the quote to make sure you cover yourself. At least if the graphic falls somewhere you don't like you have roughly a foot to move it left right and up down. Vertical panels obviously. They need to be hinged a foot from the ceiling with painters tape. Pull the backing down to the "hinge" and cut the backing paper off. Lay the top to the ceiling and trim. Lift the bottom up and pull the backing paper down a little at a time or with whatever you are comfortable with.. You have any questions pm me here and I will be more than happy to help.

Bly

Phototex works fine in HP latex printers.
Just make sure you don't use standard phototex over wallpaper as it is not opaque.

Asuma01

Are how are the profiles for HP's? Or will I have to make my own? Will any of the HP supplied generic profiles work? I'm running an HP Latex 260.

jen.reelez

+1

The biggest problem your going to have is keeping from running up or down hill in 40 feet and lining up panels, and that shouldn't be that bad. It will make it easier to line up the panels if you set your overlaps away from small text, high contrast areas, and faces if possible.

Wow, smart tips!
:thumb: