• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser cutting guy, new to printing

arrrrr88

Hi, All.

I've got about 10 years of experience working with in the laser cutting industry and I've recently purchased a flatbed printer with no prior knowledge or experience. I'm looking to start up a printing business of my own eventually and look forward to learning more about the industry through this website (and hopefully contribute somehow, once I've actually got some knowledge/experience in the bag:smile:).

- Art

ams

UV Flatbed printing has it's ups and downs. A few things to know. Also it depends on which one you bought.

-POSITIVE-
Make signs fast, less labor
Low cost
Wider range of substrates and products to print on
Instant drying, generally it's cured when it's done printing (depending on printer)

-NEGATIVE-
Cheap quality, ink doesn't last, magenta is the first to peel or fade.
Low DPI, unless you get one of the higher end ones, many have low DPI capabilities such as 600 DPI max.
Overbleed cleaning, if you do full bleeds, generally you have extra clean up of ink
Weight, many flatbeds weigh over 1,500 lbs, once it's setup, you won't be moving it.

I am not a huge fan of them, but I will need one in a year or two. Good luck

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have fun, they're a riot to use. What kind did ya get ??
If it's what I think it us, they're really not considered a true flatbed in what the previous poster was explaining.

Good luck :rock-n-roll:

arrrrr88

Have fun, they're a riot to use. What kind did ya get ??
If it's what I think it us, they're really not considered a true flatbed in what the previous poster was explaining.

Good luck :rock-n-roll:

I've got the lil Mutoh 426UF printer delivered to me this past Thursday and have barely started to use it.

It's kind of crazy to me how little information there is online about this machine. I've heard all good things about it, but it feels like there are just so few people talking about it in comparison to other machines (though I know it's still very new!). I'll be doing my best to share my experiences!

ams

Bad choice in my opinion. There isn't much information because it's not a great printer.
It costs $20,000 which is a lot of money for only a 19" printer. You can't even print a yard sign on it.

Again in my opinion, I'd send it back, get a refund and get something better. I'd never get anything less than a 4' X 8' flatbed :thumb:

arrrrr88

Bad choice in my opinion. There isn't much information because it's not a great printer.
It costs $20,000 which is a lot of money for only a 19" printer. You can't even print a yard sign on it.

Again in my opinion, I'd send it back, get a refund and get something better. I'd never get anything less than a 4' X 8' flatbed :thumb:

Ahh, that's a bummer to hear. A 4'x8' is definitely more than I can afford (or have room to have here in my home), and I think that - for what I plan on doing - the small bed size is all I need. The other comparable printers I've looked at were also more expensive when comparing the price to print-size.

ams

Mutoh is growing little by little but it's still a brand I will stay away from.

Roland, Mimaki, DCS for some of the best and I hear Vutek and Océ are decent for entry level.