• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser cutting Kydex

BigNate

The correct tool for the job is one that makes you money.

Agreed
I wouldn't flatbed print on warped material that caused headstrikes and extra wear and tear on my machine because the customer wanted me to.

same here
Why cut something that corrodes your $40-75000 machine to do a one off? Even if it only takes 1% of your machines life away, that's still probably more than the job is worth.

if I cut Kydex on my laser it will NOT corrode my machine.
There is no way to neutralize vaporized acid. You can vent it outside, but by the time it's cuttings it's already damaging your machine.

why on Earth would you make such an obviously false statement? do YOU have a PhD in chemistry?
You can use a Toyota Camry to pull a 10 ft RV with a tow hook, sure it works... But the damage you do to your transmission isn't worth it, and you'll like do it up one hill then never be able to do it again. .

Agreed, but for a 1-off rescue and if you happen to have a bunch of snatch blocks and rope, the Camry would easily pull even a fully loaded semi--- without sustaining any damage.
The right took for the job, is a tool that doesn't break when doing the job. There's normal wear and tear.... And then there's causing unecessary damage to get the job done.

"tool"? well, this is also false as every tool will eventually wear out. As the owner of a tool it is up to you to decide what wear and tear you will allow on it.
It's like using your Olfa blade, chipping the. Rao out of it but managing to screw in a flathead screw....except it's a $40,000 okfa blade your destroying. Sure you can do it, but you'd have to be pretty dumb and not business smart to take the risk. I don't care if it's my best customer, I'd never do something that could potentially destroy my whole machine, even if it was a 5% chance.. .. it's just not worth it.

uh.... not really. Again, to me, neutralizing any aerosolized acid as well ad binding or neutralizing and toxic fumes is something that I would do. I can have a carbon filter and aerosolized buffer solution setup in less than an hour. so depending on what I was going to get in return, just cutting the Kydex would be my choice.

dude, there are way too many ways to put image on substrate to say one is right and one is wrong. I agree the normal user without having a chemistry background should not attempt to mess with dangerous chemical by-products by lasering the Kydex.

ikarasu

Find me one laser vendor, or PVC vendor that says cutting PVC on a laser is ok... No matter what setup you have, and I'll admit I'm wrong.

You cant setup a buffer between the laser and the material - The second the vapor hits the laser, its corroding all the metal parts... Exactly how much, I'm not an expert and I dont know. All I know is the first thing any sales rep tells you is NEVER cut PVC on a laser, no matter what ventilation you have. Maybe theres a specialty laser built to handle it, but I'm 99.9% sure the OP doesn't have one.

My no way to neutralize acid was a general statement, Yes you can neutralize it in perfect conditions - what I meant, is you cant neutralize it inside of a lazer before it causes damage to the laser.

You suggested he vent it through a carbon filter or through a high stack - Neither of which would protect his machine... It may protect him from the fumes, but neither of those does diddly squat to protect his machine.

I'm sorry, but I take what forum people say with a grain of salt, especially when it goes against what every-single industry professional, and maker of the machine says. It wouldnt make sense that they'd pigeon hold their machine and make it less useful - IF Trotec says cutting PVC Will damage the machine and potentially kill you, I'd be pretty dumb to listen to someone on a Forum who I have no idea what their credentials are, VS A bunch of engineers who have dumped millions and millions into research.

It's the same with offgassing - All the vendors say you need to do it, but half the people on here swear its fine not to and that theyre just making it up :roflmao: I'll risk a $5 piece of vinyl failing when I'm in a rush and dont want to offgas, but I wont risk my $40,000 machine getting damaged, or potentially breathing in toxic chemicals.

30 years ago maybe it was common, I don't know. But 15 years ago I remember walking into smoke filled restaurants sitting next to a couple chain smoking during their meal - Now people arent allowed to even smoke 3 meters infront of a building, let alone inside of it - I remember seeing adds about how smoking is good for you.... Things change. Maybe in 30 years it'll be fine to laser PVC again! But until then, I dont care if my million dollar client asks me for a 1 off, I'm not (And no one should) Put PVC in their laser.

BigNate

again, many ways to put image on substrate. In todays litigious society, no vendor will blanket say it is okay to laser PVC. (look at the disclaimers for lasering ANY material....)

Also, today, NO gasoline car manufacturer will say it is okay to fill up the gas tank with the car running - even though the reason for not was the distributor. The source of ignition has been removed from cars, 99% of the danger has been removed, yet no one will say it is "okay" to do it....