• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser Engraving and Cutting.

synergy_jim

Monday, I am going to pull the trigger on an industrial laser engraver and cutting machine. I have a few questions for the people out there with experience with lasers.

1) Do you feel getting in to laser services has been wise for your business?

2) Have you had any bad experiences with any laser companies out there. We are going with Vytek. Any input on them?

3) Does anyone here on the boards regularly sub out laser engraving/cutting

4) Any words of wisdom or special industries I should call on ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

vinylbarry

They use theres for ada signage all the time and stamp making in house. Plus other options I really like the option to cut out designs in wood.

synergy_jim

We have been looking hard into a laser and I know someone that has had really good luck with this company and its what we have been leaning to.
http://www.troteclaser.com

Barry, we looked at trotec also.... we ended up going with Vytek because they are 100% made in the USA. Plus they use a G code based setup like a CNC router, and I thinks its superior to a print driver based system.

James, we are smack in the middle of woodworking and furniture USA. We are going to be doing custom laser cut parts, acrylic awards, laser marked tags, and something kinda unique. We bought a custom made 32" rotary unit for the laser so we can engrave 360 degrees on round objects up to 10" in diameter...

spur

Go for it....the uses they have would fill up a book. We have an Epilog and never a problem.

chopper

what size machine are you getting??
a friend has a Kern and runs with print drivers 4x8 machine works fine...
//chopper

CES020

I've not seen any red flags about that machine on any engraving forums. Only issues I have seen is that not a lot of people have them, so when asking for help on forums, the questions don't always get answered. I'm not sure I'd consider that an issue, but it's just the only issue I've seen. I suspect the questions that don't get answered after hours on a forum are almost always resolved by Vytec the next business day, which is about all you can ask for.

synergy_jim

we are buying a 24" x 36" machine with 12" adj. deck and pass through. actually max part size is 32" wide x infinite long...

cgsigns_jamie

My buddy has a 4x8 VyTech... It's a little temperamental and it's gone down quite a few times.

I'm no expert on lasers. If you have any any questions for him PM me and I'll send you his email address.

gabagoo

I really want one too. I have absolutely no idea what I would do with it, I just think they are neat...lol

I have a friend who has the vytek. It was his first machine and he works it hard. He upgraded to a 75 watt model and offered it to me,but decided he better keep it and run both. To bad I was looking forward to playing with it....

synergy_jim

My buddy has a 4x8 VyTech... It's a little temperamental and it's gone down quite a few times.

I'm no expert on lasers. If you have any any questions for him PM me and I'll send you his email address.

I would appreciate it very much if you could PM me his contact info. I just want to to a little more homework before signing the final documents.

I do get to go hang out in Boston for a week in Feb. Training should be fun!

V-ENGRAVE

Here is my suggestion. I four weeks there is a ARA trade show in Vegas. Go there and see them all in action. You may save enough on purchase to cover your trip and then some.

Did you compare Universal Laser Systems to what you are getting with Vytek.

Why do you think G-code would be superior in cutting a vector line as opposed to good graphic program that cuts vinyl in your every day application?

letterman7

I'll watch this space carefully. When I was running a Vytek router, their support sucked and you could never get a hold of a tech to troubleshoot. Hopefully their laser support is better... this was more than several years ago.

CanuckSigns

We have 2 Trotec machines, have been using Trotec's for about 12 years now. Absolutely amazing machines and the customer service is second to none. Yes the Trotec is a bit more expensive, but in my opinion it's worth every bit you pay. Their machines are made in Austria, and the build quality is amazing!

Zzyzx

Our Universal machines have given us no trouble, one is four years old and all run almost full time. One benefit of the Universal machine is that you can change the laser tube without realignment, a plug and play system.
The trotec system may be a better system inthat their print driver system seems to be the better on the market.
There are more people buying these machines especially the industrial companys. It looks like the potential market is shrinking.
They are great fun machines to play with. They can engrave many different materials.
We are currently looking at buying a large laser that will cut 1/4" steel plate that will be used for similar work that is done with acrylic signs. only in steel or alum. Good Luck

justgraphics

What wattage are you going to be getting on the laser? What thickness wood and acrylic are you planning on cutting?

w2csa

I have a Universal for several years now and am very happy with it.
Things I would have done different:
Get a bigger platform, like what your getting and I really whish I had gotten a laser with a pass-through.
Good luck!

cartoad

We have an Epilog, now almost 6 years old, and no problems, just wish it ran more! Originally was to do awards and some trophies, scrapped that idea-too many choices here and way too many items to have in inventory. We also did stamps in house for a while, but dropped that, stinks too much and much easier to send out. ADA signs, need a rotary engraver for that, and unless you are doing a lot, not worth the effort to set up for just one, and we found it was hard to get a decent price for the one offs. So we have settled on engraved name badges, name plates for doors, stencils, and small acrlyic signs 1st and 2nd surface. We also do speciality marking on metal, small market so far.
We also purchased the rotary device for it, other than a flash light with flames every so often, even tried glass engraving on it, but the sharp edges were a put off.
Fun to use and nice break from working in vinyl, glad we have, but not getting rich off it.
Thats my story and I am sticking to it!