• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Laser level for exterior use?

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Wondering if anyone uses, or knows of a laser level system that can be used/ seen outdoors for more accurate/ efficient installations of larger signage than using conventional levels?

Ryze Signs

Any of the green laser levels are seen easier in daylight. I use a DeWalt. The main issue is finding a good stable metal surface to attach the magnet to. The basket of the boom truck moves too much to get a steady line. I once tried a light post, but it also moved too much from the wind. It only works for about 5 percent of my exterior installs. It is almost always used for interiors. It's also very useful to help the customer visualize and approve the sign placement.

Signstein

I've seen the guys around here using these two-piece leveling systems in their construction projects.
I think one device levels off the other since the laser lines aren't visible outdoors.

1712319023604.png

(this isn't my pic - just did a quick search for a visual aid)

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I've seen the guys around here using these two-piece leveling systems in their construction projects.
I think one device levels off the other since the laser lines aren't visible outdoors.
What we were hoping to accomplish is just making leveling more efficient, or accurate. Running long signage on buildings, pylon signs, ones with oddball shapes, mainly for elevated installs where the convenience factor would just be peachy as heck. Never really came across anything made for it with the exception of the ones like this, that sight engineers use. Those need sensors to see where you're at, better for working at ground level where they're not really needed. Probably more of a pain to use up in the air than conventional levels.

Any of the green laser levels are seen easier in daylight. I use a DeWalt. The main issue is finding a good stable metal surface to attach the magnet to. The basket of the boom truck moves too much to get a steady line. I once tried a light post, but it also moved too much from the wind. It only works for about 5 percent of my exterior installs. It is almost always used for interiors. It's also very useful to help the customer visualize and approve the sign placement.
Green lasers is kind of where we were looking, but because the range may still be fairly short for outdoors, and the mounting/ movement factor like you point out, I didn't think commonly available ones would be super reliable.

It's always worth a shot to ask though, there are a lot of tools in niche markets that are just hard to determine if they'll work. Never know if I'll find someone who uses any, and save a lot of time/ money chasing my tail if there is or isn't one that works. Just found one by Huepar, self leveling, it has a pulse mode that's supposed to be suitable for daytime use up to 200'. If anyone has any further insight, speak up, otherwise I''ll just do a little more research, and maybe pull the trigger and see.

JBurton

Signtologist
shopping

Haven't used one in forever, about the time stucco took off in my area and the pain of getting blue/red chalk off a cream wall overcame the ease of snapping and pouncing.