• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser printed waterproof labels

royster13

Or find a trade printer that has a press like an HP Indigo an can print on waterproof substrates and do a UV coating.....

natedawg9640

They did some of this at my old job. Tt works.... okay... but it doesn't hold up very long in outdoor applications. (bumper stickers)

They say water RESISTANT for a reason.

sfr table hockey

Or find a trade printer that has a press like an HP Indigo an can print on waterproof substrates and do a UV coating.....

I have a run of 1000 (1 1/2" x 4") labels, that luckily, this customer has a budget of .60 to 1.00 per label. They want this to last as long as possible. So I plan on printing and laminating with a 1/4" overhang so that the label will have an extra 1/4" of clear to seal the edges. This involves a double cut on the media and weed, then laminate and put back in for the laminate countour. Not sure if I described that right... There is a second customer that may need the same qty not sure of size or where they plan to go.

The laser label option is more that I want to have something on hand for an alternative to ordering else where. Time is always an issue and for most, a week or more is too long.

On a laser it sounds like you can print on waterproof media but more wanting to know if anyone has tried it and how it lasts.

Depending on the job and durability, at $0.10 a label compared to $0.50 or more, they may have their place.

Thanks for your input.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Those are "water resistant", not waterproof. Look at the clear gloss or other true platsic labels if you want water proof. We run the clear gloss on on 12x18 color laser a good bit. Works very well.

sfr table hockey

They did some of this at my old job. Tt works.... okay... but it doesn't hold up very long in outdoor applications. (bumper stickers)

They say water RESISTANT for a reason.

Here is another that says waterproof and 2 year.
http://www.presslabel.com/page/PL/PROD/Waterproof/PSP-WLV8511BP

I read about the inkjet type that were more the water resistant however they were saying the laser was better. The outdoor and handling is what I was worried about.

Were the ones that your old job did inkjet or laser if you remember?

Thanks again.

sfr table hockey

Those are "water resistant", not waterproof. Look at the clear gloss or other true platsic labels if you want water proof. We run the clear gloss on on 12x18 color laser a good bit. Works very well.

Just noticed the resistant part after that was mentioned. (thanks, been looking at a pile of sites)

I would like to hear more on the one you used.

Did you do anything to it after it was printed and did you try to contour it or just cut manually?
How long would a print last before noticing wear?

If a person bought the decal pre cut sheets and printed (if I can find them), I assume it would not be any different than the clear you printed on?

BobCap

Waterproof vs water resistant

If these are going to be rained on...

Stay away from water resistant. I print on many different types of material both large format and small format. We had some material that was water resistent designed to run on an Epson Stylus 7600. Test prints worked fine. I even let them stand under running tap water for 20 minutes. Rubbed them with my finger and could not get the ink to smudge one bit.

But....when acid rain hit them they turned to ****!

Either get them printed on an solvent ink printer on the right substrate or...

If you need lables that will run on a laser and are waterproof check out the Avery Vinyl Laser lables.

We use them in a pinch for short run needs. I still have one on my truck from last summer. Looks as good as when we printed it.

natedawg9640

to answer your question OP, they were laser printed. Even the bumperstickers that were laminated failed. the material just fell apart and the lamination too the print and some of the material with it when it started to separate.

I have the perfect solution for you! If you are looking for outdoor use and longevity of a product please do consider a dome decal. I am a manufacture of dome decals and offer doming to the trade industry . I would be willing to work out a deal to fit within your customers budget. Please go to my website www.crystalcleardoming.com or feel free to contact me direct @ 972 352-1405 THE DOMING GUY

Fernando Alegre

sfr table hockey

Thanks bobcap, good to know that even if samples did not rub off under tap water that once outdoors came into play, they would not last.

Thanks again Nate for taking time for your feedback.

crystalclear, domed would not work as these are for a 1/2" rod.

My plan is to use the slovent printer and print and laminate this order but the question was for other print options for jobs down the road.

Sounds like the laser decal might have it's place as a cheaper temp. decal but not something that would last years outdoor.

Thanks for the input as this is what I wanted to know.

royster13

I would be selling 1,000 1 1/2 x 4 on vinyl with UV for about 300.00.....Now I use a US source and my costs will run about 160.00 or so....

I do not know if you are close to Calgary or Edmonton, but both have trade printers.....And I am sure they can turn them within a week....

sfr table hockey

I would be selling 1,000 1 1/2 x 4 on vinyl with UV for about 300.00.....Now I use a US source and my costs will run about 160.00 or so....

I do not know if you are close to Calgary or Edmonton, but both have trade printers.....And I am sure they can turn them within a week....

Thanks again Royce, I am close to Edmonton and would like to know of some guys there that could do some of the jobs I can't do or don't have time for. Any names would be a big help down the road.

When you say with UV do you mean coated with a liquid coat or are these laminated at that price.

I want to do this smaller run my self and see what time is involved with the weed and lam etc. with having a 1/8 to 1/4 inch of lam that overhangs the decal to seal the edges. Material cost should not hit over $80 range even with waste for crop mark reading and doing in 200 qty batches.

Doing it was never the question as much as other options when a lower quality decal would do and what options that the laser printer might be able to fill.