• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

latest logo job

Dave Drane

I like the weight of the first one but the lettering on the second one, what I mean is the way Maui Grocery on top looks kinda heavy with just service on the bottom,
what if you bumped up maui on the top and moved Grocery to the bottom and maybe stacked it ..
//chopper

This what I was thinking too. Even if Maui imposed over part of the illustratiom. Then you can do "Grocery service" in one line around the bottom, even if it was more of a condensed block letter.

iSign

I like the weight of the first one but the lettering on the second one, what I mean is the way Maui Grocery on top looks kinda heavy with just service on the bottom,
what if you bumped up maui on the top and moved Grocery to the bottom and maybe stacked it ..
//chopper

wanted to thank Chopper, Signcrafter & Dave for their variety of contributions as well. Overall, I'm glad the second one got a few votes because I did that layout first & emailed it while the graphics were still in rough form.

The client liked it, but as I developed the rest of it I wanted to try to group the copy (somewhat like Dan's "not necessarily integrated typography" comment) so it could stand alone at times, on a truck door for example, or a low cost 1 color promotional item...

...so last night I sent the first layout in the more completed form shown here & the client wanted me to go back to the circular lettering he had seen earlier... hence the more completed version 2 above...

Anyway, I may try some of the "dumbing down" ideas for my own learning experience, because I see the value... but if the client approves version 2 as is, I will let it go out the door like that...

That's the other part of why I think I can make the transition to charging higher prices... because for me, it just takes too long to get this far, and to take it further without charging for the time will result in me doing something like delivering groceries instead of logos, if I'm not careful! (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

....and I want to be able to take things to the next level, so anticipating that amount of time, AND anticipating that the true value to the client will be increased exponentially when I have that much more time in the budget...

that's it... my New Years resolution!!!! Now offering $1000 logos at Island Sign "because you're worth it"

Last edited:

Jillbeans

I like that first one but the food needs to be simplified.
The vehicle could have more zip, maybe slightly cartoony with more motion.
I like the idea of the vehicle busting out of the sircle.
I don't like the second one's typography at all, it's hard to read and not a s "service-ey" looking as the first example.
(although I don't like that script at all)
hahaha
But I think the first one is heading in a better direction.
Love.....Jill

Dan Antonelli

Good for you Doug. It's always easier to do one logo for a grand than two for five hundred.

Rick had some good examples which captured a little more of what I was saying.

Jillbeans

Here's a quick mock up using a John Deaton car, I can't draw them and while I prefer your vehicle, it just needs something, whether it's only a bit of motion or something. The food is just thrown in from a dingbat font to give the idea of quick delivery, hopefully without anything blowing out though.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 68

PMG

the basket dont look correct..i think the openings on the basket need a black stroke to make it pop a lil better......

Attachments

• maui.jpg
    maui.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 74

trimguy

This seems to be a growing type of business. We did this one in Kona.

Attachments

• grocery.jpg
    grocery.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 65

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doug.....

I think what you have is very good so far. Some of these comments are great for simplifying thoughts and ideas for the viewing audience. It will make your client’s truck more appealing.

One other point is, in my world, when designing a logo such as this, it’s always best to use a ¾ view. That’s something that will make your work stand out from all the other designers. Three/quarter views are by far the best look on the planet. Reason so many people don’t use it is because they are using other simplified ideas and can’t create anything on their own, so for the most part they are copying. Look around for great logos and you’ll see many of them when using pictures and other kinds of artwork…. always use a ¾ view.

Heck, just look at John Deaton’s work. Look at all the greats of anything from portraits to landscapes…… no one is ever straight on unless you are in a complete manipulated set of circumstances. Give it a whirl. I’ve seen your preliminary drawings and you’re good with a pencil. :thumb:

saktrnch

I'll jump in with a few of ideas the popped into my head. I agree that the cart handle should go to the back.

Attachments

• Maui1.jpg
    Maui1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Maui2.jpg
    Maui2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Maui3.jpg
    Maui3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Maui4.jpg
    Maui4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 74

Marlene

I like what signcrafter did by moving the truck a little off the circle as it centers the basket part with the food. I liked the font in #2 and the set up but what bothered me was the basket part with the food seemed offset too much. it may not be possible to move the truck off the circle as the logo may need to be self contained within the circle but if not needed, you might want to give signcrafter's idea a shot.

iSign

This seems to be a growing type of business. We did this one in Kona.

that's my clients business partner...

anyway, I appreciate all the input & suggestions everyone.

The client is happy, doesn't want to see any more variations, and I guess I have fought for years to learn to turn off that designers addiction to keep improving something, beyond what I've been hired to do, so the guy got his money's worth & I've managed to acquire the skill to move on... even though I know something could be better...

I liked the off center idea too, and the 3/4 view, although I had thought of that, I knew it takes me longer to draw proportion then to draw an elevation view... and icons actually work in 2D (in my opinion) so I'm ok with letting his budget talk me out of the 3D look

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Something like this is what I envision. A Deaton toon would make it sweet.

Attachments

• maui.jpg
    maui.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 73