• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latest Roland XC 540 Firmware

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Was having some banding issues....talked to Sign Supply USA today and they suggested downloading and installing the latest firmware on my printer. Low and behold....IT WORKED! Much better printing with it...wow. I was surprised! Just wanted to let fellow Roland Owners out there know.

cdiesel

Hmm.. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

We were told by our distributor who installed the Triangle bulk system NOT to update the printer or Versaworks. I'll have to see what they say before updating.

mediaman

Chris,
It would be a shame if you can't do the latest Firmware upgrade. Most print modes will realize an increase in speed with the Standard (360 x720) moving from 75 sfh to 150 sfh, a 100% increase in speed. Banding will also be greatly reduced or eliminated in most print modes.

nate

Chris,
It would be a shame if you can't do the latest Firmware upgrade. Most print modes will realize an increase in speed with the Standard (360 x720) moving from 75 sfh to 150 sfh, a 100% increase in speed. Banding will also be greatly reduced or eliminated in most print modes.

I notice this also has a VersaWorks upgrade attached to it. Does this mean you need to run the printer with Versaworks in order to get these speeds? Or would you see them on Wasatch SoftRip as well?

mediaman

The speed should be independent of the RIP you are using with one exception. Speed will be dependent on several factors including Head Speed. We recommend that every one of our customers install VersaWorks, even if they don't think they will use it. Eventually, users may find that they have to use VersaWorks when a profile is not available for Flexi or the RIP they are using. So, I'd recommend that all the updates are done (Firmware and Versaworks) and do a test print at Standard (360 x 720). This mode will realize a 100% increase in speed from 75 to 150 sfh with the update. Check to see what the Head Speed is when VersaWorks prints this image and set your 3rd party RIP to the same speed to realize the new throughput promised by Roland.
Also, check out the MANY new profiles available for VersaWorks. There are now tons of 3rd party media profiles, which are linked from Roland DGA to the Roland Japan site. This may make VersaWorks more desirable to users who need profiles for non-Roland products. I have found that other RIPs tend to lay down more ink than is necessary, while VersaWorks' profiles have good Ink Limits in their "canned" profiles.

nate

Mediaman - Thanks for the information. We've updated to the latest firmware and I'll get Versaworks to update itself to the latest version. We use Versaworks every once in a while (often when print and cut are necessary- Wasatch is kind of funny about this stuff).

cdiesel

I called our distributor today, and they're currently running the latest update on their machine to see how it works. I'd LOVE to get an extra boost in speed!