• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latest Versaworks keeps crashing after update

Spaceflunky

We recently got a new computer at work and for about 2 weeks everything was working fine (printing & cutting). One morning i come in, open versaworks and it tells me "Roland Versaworks and unexpectedly shut down" or whatever. So i went thru the whole uninstall and reinstall process thought it was working again and bam...there it went again.

Anyone having problems like this?
Im just glad that it is working on our other machine.

Ponto

In the past it was necessary to do complete and clean uninstall and re-install to alleviate such a problem.....likely a corrupt .exe causing you grief.............

JP

Spaceflunky

This isnt the first time VW has crashed on me. I've talked to their techs and they told me how to completely uninstall VW and reinstall it. Went thru the same process this time and still nothing. ugh...

joeshaul

Only time I've ran across that issue is when there's a corrupted file in the queue. Maybe when it reinstalled it kept the old files in the queue.

To manually clear the queue:
Go to My Computer\C drive\Program Files\Roland Versaworks\Versaworks\Printers
Inside the printers folder will be a folder for your specific printer (mine is an SP300V, so I have a directory called SP300V). Go in there.

You should now see a list of folders: "Input-A" "Input-B" "Job-A" "Job-B"
The job folders are the queue folders. Unless there's specific RIP information you need (IE: a print job that hasn't gone to cut yet), you can just go into those folders and delete the data there. If there's a specific job you need, its folder will be the name of the job and you can move it out of the folder before you delete it, although it may in fact be the corrupt job, so I would suggest just moving whatever folders out you need, starting Versaworks, if it starts clean, close it, put what folders you want back in and see if it will start again.

If there's no files in the queue, then I guess the uninstall procedure did its task, and I would probably point the finger at a virus, or a heating/cooling issue.

Spaceflunky

Thanks for the write up!

Check the folders and they are indeed empty. How would a program be affected by a heating or cooling problem? We have 2 machines that talk to the Roland and the other one is working just fine. It's only this one that stopped after a couple of weeks of use...

guess i gotta call up the tech service again. :banghead:

joeshaul

Thanks for the write up!

Check the folders and they are indeed empty. How would a program be affected by a heating or cooling problem? We have 2 machines that talk to the Roland and the other one is working just fine. It's only this one that stopped after a couple of weeks of use...

guess i gotta call up the tech service again. :banghead:

When computers overheat, it's much like a human. They start seeing things that aren't there and processing them incorrectly. Eventually what will happen is the computer will misinterpret an instruction such as "move the 4'x8' sign from the floor to the table" to "move the 4' x 8' sign from the floor the Laser Printer", as the laser printer wasn't supposed to be involved in the equation at all, a crash occurs. Heat issues are hard to diagnose in that they don't really have a trigger, it's when the processor gets too hot that it starts to act funky, which could be seconds after starting up, or hours into printing. Given that we're now in Summer, heating issues will pop up more frequently as rooms that may have been at 70 degrees fahrenheit may run up to 90, which can increase a computer's temperature substantially as well since most rely on air intake & exhaust for a lot of its cooling.

If your Versaworks is always dying on startup, then it is probably not a heat issue unless you experience similar issues with other applications and eventual OS crashes. If however it seems to be fine for 30 seconds, then crashes, then immediately crashes, then starts up works fine for an hour, then crashes, that is more indicative of a hardware issue, which is generally in order of most to least plausible: heat, RAM, or power supply.

If the hardware issue is ruled out and the program always crashes at the same point on startup, I would probably look at some form of compatibility setting, or some other companion software is missing. My first suggestion would be to try running Versaworks as an Administrator (right click the icon, choose Run As Admin). If that still fails, I know my versaworks has the Visual C runtime in its folder, so you might want to check your Versaworks folder for vcredist_x86.exe or something similar and try launching that. That file will launch an installer for the Visual C runtime (which is like a toolbox for many applications developed for Windows). The runtime should've probably been installed with Versaworks, but may have failed for some odd reason, which is now causing you issues, because the application is saying "pass me a hammer" and there is no toolbox and no hammer.

All else fails there's Roland tech support, hopefully either the tips here or Roland themselves will get you sorted though!