• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex 335 banner printing

yamaha581

I have been using our 335 on vinyl with no problems and have been using our l26500 for banners but needed to do some banners on our Latex 335 and I just can't get it to work at all. I have a roll of the Duratex banner material and am using Flexi but it only has the generic banner profile and I am not sure if that's my problem since the banner is gloss but as you can see below it is not coming out at all. I have tried going on grimco and Flexi to get profiles for gloss but they do not even give me the option for a latex 335. Would anyone know how I can get some basic banner profiles into the printer or Flexi?

Attachments

• banner print1 new.png
    banner print1 new.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 678
https://www.printos.com/ml/#/medialocator
There are many PVC banner media presets (aka profiles) available from the HP Media Locator. Filter the database by application.

With that said, it appears that the ink is coalescing and not adhering well to the media. This may be due to the presence of contaminates on the print surface. To test for this, clean an area with isopropyl alcohol or similar, mark the area that was cleaned with a sharpie marking pen, and then print a job the extends through the cleaned area, well into the non-cleaned area. If you see a visible difference between the two areas, with the cleaned area looking more correct than the non-cleaned area, you will have proven that the media surface is contaminated with something - with PVC medias, that is often times high amounts of plasticizers that have migrated out to the print surface.

jimmmi

This is bad media. Old roll or badly stored. Its not profile problem. Its plastisizer problem. Happens usually with latex printers and bad or cheap materials. Try other roll

yamaha581

https://www.printos.com/ml/#/medialocator
There are many PVC banner media presets (aka profiles) available from the HP Media Locator. Filter the database by application.

With that said, it appears that the ink is coalescing and not adhering well to the media. This may be due to the presence of contaminates on the print surface. To test for this, clean an area with isopropyl alcohol or similar, mark the area that was cleaned with a sharpie marking pen, and then print a job the extends through the cleaned area, well into the non-cleaned area. If you see a visible difference between the two areas, with the cleaned area looking more correct than the non-cleaned area, you will have proven that the media surface is contaminated with something - with PVC medias, that is often times high amounts of plasticizers that have migrated out to the print surface.

Thank you. This was a brand new roll and the first foot printed out perfect and now it all is looking like this. Is that saying something is bad with the material since I have never had to wipe any banner material off and so far it has printed this way for the past 5' I have tested on.

I would not use the term 'bad' - with all PVC-based medias (including banner vinyl and self-adhesive), plasticizers are added to the recipe in order to promote flexibility of the media. Without plasticizers, PVC is inherently rigid as is the case with PVC pipes and sheets. There are (at least) two basic types of plasticizers used in print media, polymeric and monomeric plasticizers.

Over time, plasticizers will move/ migrate from the inside of the media out to the surface of the media, and when the plasticizer reaches high enough concentrations on the surface, it can begin to affect and inhibit ink adhesion. Even though the roll is new to you, if it was manufactured many months ago, that migration process has been occurring over the period of time when it was shipped and stored in various warehouses. The plasticizer migration is hastened by heat - not uncommon in warehouses in summer.

The solution is to swap the roll for a fresher roll which has not experienced the migration - once the media has been printed, the image is not affected by plasticizer migration.

yamaha581

Thank you. Most of our work is motocross graphics on vinyl so that was a new roll I just got in. I got ahold of them and they are sending a new roll out since we usually only have one roll of banner here with the amount we print them.

karst41

I have been using our 335 on vinyl with no problems and have been using our l26500 for banners but needed to do some banners on our Latex 335 and I just can't get it to work at all. I have a roll of the Duratex banner material and am using Flexi but it only has the generic banner profile and I am not sure if that's my problem since the banner is gloss but as you can see below it is not coming out at all. I have tried going on grimco and Flexi to get profiles for gloss but they do not even give me the option for a latex 335. Would anyone know how I can get some basic banner profiles into the printer or Flexi?

One of my vendors sent me a roll of that Trash and I sent it back.
They say Two Sided printing, but one side prints beautifully and the other side
looks like HeII.

I got rolls of UltraFlex from Athens Paper. Prints beautifully on both sides.
Price is good. You want the Double Sided Block Out 15oz.

I bought a roll of the Pole Banner because I do not print many banners.
The 18 oz is thick and feeds with out the loading accessory.
My next roll will be 15 oz.

The profile is in the media selections on the printer, and it communicates Perfectly with Flexi 19.
It automatically launched the windows for double sided printing and printer profile
is perfect.

Last edited:

Chriswagner92

I run the same setup, except I run Matte banner now, and use the forward banner 13oz profile.

I believe Duratex is reverse-wound so make sure you’re loading the material in the proper direction. Smooth side up. Opposite of the way most materials load.

If you’re sure about that, then I agree with everyone else. Bad roll!

yamaha581

I just got the new roll in and tried it again and it is printing the same way. I know it is loaded correctly because the matte side is down and it is printing on the gloss. I am not sure if I should just try and get a matte roll or what the problem is with this material. I never had this problem with our L26500 but its just not printing well on this at all.

jjpta

I just got the new roll in and tried it again and it is printing the same way. I know it is loaded correctly because the matte side is down and it is printing on the gloss. I am not sure if I should just try and get a matte roll or what the problem is with this material. I never had this problem with our L26500 but its just not printing well on this at all.
Did you ever find out what the issue was? I am on my 3rd roll of different banner material and all of them are printing the same way as the pic you posted. We have tried several different profiles and nothing is working