• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex 360 wedge banding dropout

MDCC

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on this problem, so thank you in advance. I've had this problem for a while now, but is getting worse. Printing in solids shows the problem much more pronounced. As you can see from the images, the printer is banding in a wedge like shape where ink appears to be dropping out (looks way worse in real life than the image shows). The wider side of the wedge is on the right side of the printer. The wedge band doesn't go across the entire roll width - usually stays within 24"-36" starting on the right side edge. The wider side of the wedge is always less than 1" wide and is completely inconsistent in how often it shows up, how long the wedge is, how wide the wedge is, or the density of the banding. Ink head test patterns shows no problems with the heads. Same problem across multiple different media types. Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• wedge banding 2.jpg
    wedge banding 2.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 154
  • wedge banding 1.jpg
    wedge banding 1.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 106

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Issue is one or more printhead. They start to underperform with long jobs like this which results to this that looks like ink starvation but it's not.

How many millilitres usage on the printheads? When were they installed?

jeffdpia

Digital Print Orchestrator
I'd greatly appreciate any advice on this problem, so thank you in advance. I've had this problem for a while now, but is getting worse. Printing in solids shows the problem much more pronounced. As you can see from the images, the printer is banding in a wedge like shape where ink appears to be dropping out (looks way worse in real life than the image shows). The wider side of the wedge is on the right side of the printer. The wedge band doesn't go across the entire roll width - usually stays within 24"-36" starting on the right side edge. The wider side of the wedge is always less than 1" wide and is completely inconsistent in how often it shows up, how long the wedge is, how wide the wedge is, or the density of the banding. Ink head test patterns shows no problems with the heads. Same problem across multiple different media types. Any ideas?

Thank you!!
Funny that I just saw this effect today as well on our 360, I’ll check ml usage tomorrow.

APC

It's possible that it's a printhead issue but based on the color of your images its ink starvation with the Lc/Lm ph being the main culprit. The light solids / screens are demanding more production out of the single Lc/Lm ph. What's happening is that it can't fully recover all othe nozzles in time before heading back across the media. Once you see the wedge disappear is when all the nozzles have recovered. You can try putting in a new ph but I'm pretty sure the issue will reappear. My suggestion would be to add spit bars to either the right side or both sides. This will allow the Lc/Lm ph to recover its nozzles. Not exactly sure where this option is located in Flexi and Caldera but it's located in Media Settings on right hand side of screen in rip que. Other option is to create a new media profile from scratch and select 4 color in the advanced settings.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's possible that it's a printhead issue but based on the color of your images its ink starvation with the Lc/Lm ph being the main culprit. The light solids / screens are demanding more production out of the single Lc/Lm ph. What's happening is that it can't fully recover all othe nozzles in time before heading back across the media. Once you see the wedge disappear is when all the nozzles have recovered. You can try putting in a new ph but I'm pretty sure the issue will reappear. My suggestion would be to add spit bars to either the right side or both sides. This will allow the Lc/Lm ph to recover its nozzles. Not exactly sure where this option is located in Flexi and Caldera but it's located in Media Settings on right hand side of screen in rip que. Other option is to create a new media profile from scratch and select 4 color in the advanced settings.
Issue will definitely go away with a new printhead. That is not normal.

You see how far the wedge goes, it's so bad that usually spit bar won't help unless you make it 10" thick...

jeffdpia

Digital Print Orchestrator
So I’m checking my printheads they show usage of approximately 7600 mL for the cyan black head also the lc and light magenta head and show that they were originally installed in 2018. Changing all 3 on monday

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So I’m checking my printheads they show usage of approximately 7600 mL for the cyan black head also the lc and light magenta head and show that they were originally installed in 2018. Changing all 3 on monday
So simple, time to replace and most likely problem goes away (it can also be a head with less usage but easier to see from the shade of the color which one is the issue)....

Last edited:

MDCC

Everyone - Thank you all for the help! Good call on the print head. It was the LC/LM. Pulled it out and found that it had been slowly leaking out the sides of the head. Cleaned carriage, put a new print head in and it's good to go now. Thanks again!!!!