• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex Allergies???

Jaime Bergstrom

Just wanted to know if someone with latex allergies and handle or touch prints coming out of a l25500? We are looking at a l25500 and don't need the liability of someone touching a sign and breaking out. We don't laminate any of our interior signs printed with solvent ink and have never had a problem.

iSign

Long as you don't print custom proctology gloves or personalized birth control, I think you shoud be ok!

After all, paint licking babies across the world have been weaned off lead addiction with latex... so can't be all bad..

signgal

My son has a severe latex allergy and has never had a problem spending extensive time in the shop and handling all the materials. I don't know about the specific material you're referring to but normally it's the powder the latex has associated with it which triggers a reaction.

Suz

Jaime,

Great question! I was worried about the same thing as we have family member with serious allergic reactions to all sorts of things you would not think of.

Custom_Grafx

Below is from http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2010/IPEX2010/TechNotable_LatexPrinting.pdf page 4.

A key innovation in HP Latex Inks is the incorporation of latex polymer particles. “Latex” is a term that describes
a stable, aqueous dispersion of microscopic polymer particles. It is important not to confuse the polymers used
in HP Latex Inks with those found in natural materials, such as latex rubber. While some individuals experience
skin irritation from contact with natural latex compounds, the synthetic polymers used in HP Latex Inks are nonallergenic.

signgal

interesting... if you have a family member severely allergic, you tend to get a little paranoid LOL

JoeBoomer

Absolutely no allergens. I print hospital graphics regularly and have gotten the inks approved. No allergy worries.

Desert_Signs

Total change of subject, but I have an employee who can only use latex. We've always bought nitrile gloves because of latex allergies, but he started breaking out as soon as he started using them. Turns out he's in the tiny part of the population that's allergic to nitrile. I also have an employee who's allergic to latex. So we have to have 2 separate gloves stored in separate areas.

jhanson

As mentioned before, HP "latex" is latex in name only... absolutely no relation to the latex rubber plant that everyone seems to have allergies to...

An FYI, HP has moved to the L26500 up from the L25500. The recommendations still apply and there are advantages to the upgraded model (speed, etc.)