• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex on fabric - black scratches?

ForgeInc

Greetings, curious if anyone else has this problem when printing black (especially rich black) on fabrics w/ HP latex inks. ink scratching off very easily.

Am wondering if our builds are too rich, or if this is an inherent problem with latex on fabric when lots of ink is being laid down?

HulkSmash

You talking about like art canvas..? I have YET to find a good profile that works well... But the profile i have used doesn't scratch, but it also looks like crap.

RobbyMac

We've noticed scratching ink on canvas when stretching it afterwards.
Our ink limits are set pretty low, and we're using fredrix canvas (grabs the ink the best from what we've tried so far) with a modified key banner profile.

We're using a shipping blanket when we stretch the canvas, rotating the entire blanket as we do our stretching so as to limit any scratching.

We've also noticed scratching easily on backlit films (majic something or other, the name escapes me at the moment)but we're using heavy ink on it.

supersignmart

scratching

have you guys noticed any scratching on other materials, like vinyl and banner material? are you running 610 inks?

jhanson

Which HP do you have? We have an LX850 with the latest ink and noticed the same issue with heavy coverage on polyester fabrics. Can't handle them in finishing or else you get light bands where the fabric is folded...

ForgeInc

Which HP do you have? We have an LX850 with the latest ink and noticed the same issue with heavy coverage on polyester fabrics. Can't handle them in finishing or else you get light bands where the fabric is folded...

Yup, we're having similar issues. LX850, latest ink w/heavy coverage on various fabrics seems to scratch pretty easily. Couldn't resolve it...had to outsource some work to a dye sub printer...erg.

jkdbjj

I have a few rolls of Fisher Textiles, and I simply can not get black to saturate at all on there, at best it is dark grey.
I have very limited experience with fabrics (like polyester) etc... Will the L25500 actually produce on these materials or am I hoping for too much?
The print quality is amazing, but the depth of color sucks so far...

RobbyMac

Thats what we ran into. Mottled blacks looking all pinholey of sorts. I'm not going to say we tried every canvas out there, but certainly quite a few. HP's brand was the worst of all of them. Fredrix wound up giving us a good print and without having to mess with heavy ink settings or such nonsense. Damn near using a canned key banner profile.

However, on original topic, it still scratches easily. But it's the best we've discovered so far.

jhanson

I have a few rolls of Fisher Textiles, and I simply can not get black to saturate at all on there, at best it is dark grey.
I have very limited experience with fabrics (like polyester) etc... Will the L25500 actually produce on these materials or am I hoping for too much?
The print quality is amazing, but the depth of color sucks so far...

Most profiles have heavy ink limiting applied for non-porous substrates, to prevent over-inking. Textile is the opposite -- it soaks up ink, so you need to increase coverage.

If you can't get a profile to use off Fisher's site, try setting your overall ink limit to the maximum if you can; if you can't see a maximum ink limit setting, disable the output ICC profile and run a small test. Without an ICC, your colors may not be 100% accurate but you should at least get good density.

Having said that, you will also want to max out your curing heat setting to make sure that the prints come out dry. And beware of over-handling or wrinkling the finished prints...

ForgeInc

We managed to get a great, rich black on many fabrics, (fisher and others josh @ big fish sent us) by using our own profiles but the problem is there is so much ink on the material it scratches off pretty easily. We even tried spraying art fixatives, scotch guard etc to try and get better results...nothing worked.

moggle

the GLORIOUS flexi 10.2.

What's glorious about flexi? the price?

Can't help you out with that :Oops:, I use Ergo Poster Print and Onyx when forced. In testing with Flexi I found that the profiles always tended to look very washed out.

ForgeInc

talked to our reseller, he thinks he can get us some profiles that will solve the issue. He gave us a sample printed on varitex and it seemed fairly resilient with good blacks, stay tuned.

Suz

talked to our reseller, he thinks he can get us some profiles that will solve the issue. He gave us a sample printed on varitex and it seemed fairly resilient with good blacks, stay tuned.

I'm staying tuned! I have some fabric to try out very soon!