• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Latex or solvent ink for outdoor use? Which is better?

Which is better for outdoor use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Same deal as above... but with Roland ecosolvent... prints look the same as the day we installed in 2011.
Location, UV exposure, media/laminate type, and care of graphic will all play a part in the lifespan as well as ink type.

ikarasu

They both last a pretty long time.

Latex is instant dry (no offgassing), no smells/fumes

Solvent has a wider color gamut.

You can't really go wrong with either type of machine. It depends on what your doing..if you need specialty ink, where it will be installed, if you need quick turn around, etc. Search the forum, this question gets asked 5 times a week and the threads are all filled with useful information.

BCreative

We started with solvent 7 years ago, went to Latex 3 years ago. The solvent needs to be ventilated, probably took 5 years of my life breathing that stuff. Latex is great - no fumes, long life, short out gas time. Both provide excellent images. Solvent was cheaper to run. Latex is easier, basically plug and play

papabud

Lone Wolf
i have used both solvent and latex. they both serve a purpose.
my current work load requires latex due to print install at the same time.
with proper care on a basic wrap it will last
i have seen install failure occur sooner than a print issue failure.

AKwrapguy

HP's Gen 3 inks are pretty awesome. Had solvent/eco-solvent for years (mimaki, roland, HP), went to HP latex 570 about 6 months ago, best move we made.

Eduardo Castro

Well, true solvents inks will outlast Latex, but the problem is that have very toxic fumes (HAP'S). Latex has very good quality and durability, aprox. up to 3 years outdoor with no lamination. Eco-solvent inks have pretty much the same durability. It also depends what are you planning to do with the printer. New technologies like UV printing are having more popularity now a days, because of the no odor inks, some hybird printers allows you to print into rigid and flexible substrates, very good outdoor durability because of the ink laying on top of the substrate rather than being absorbed like latex and solvent. I'm still a fan of using solvents (specially the OKI printers) for outdoor and wrapping because of the penetration that the ink has with the substrate.

Check out this links:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA5-4986ENW.pdf