• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex paint: What is the secret to an even coat?

signsolutions

Good morning all,

I'm very eager to hear how some of you are able to roll (or brush) latex paint on a primed panel and get a consistent coat after it dries. I'm having difficulty rolling latex paint and getting an EVEN coat when it dries.....I see rolled areas that are more glossy than others.

- I'm using BenMoore Aura...lustre finish
- I typically use a High density foam roller or small nap (1/4" or less) roller to achieve the smoother finish.

Thanks!

-Keith
SignSolutions

Salmoneye

I use a 6" weenie roller (no pun intended). with a larger nap, maybe 1/2. Coat the paint on quite heavy. I start with an almost dripping roller cover (using a grid in a 2 gal bucket, not a tray), lay a sloppy feeder line out that extends 24" or so to the right of the left edge of the panel and then start rolling from the left side towards the right side of the panel. Make sure that your roller frame is pointing towards the direction that you will be traveling (important), move in full strokes (no weenie roller pun intended again) the 4' to the top and to the bottom slowly moving to the right and while never lifting the roller off of the sheet. Don't worry about roller lines too much right now just make sure that you get a good coat on it. When you get to the end the side where you started will have developed some tack and it is time to lay it off. Now you want your roller to be less wet but not dry and go over the sheet very lightly. The reason that it is important that the frame be pointed the right direction is that when you apply pressure the frame will flex, lifting the left side (side without the metal bend in the arm) slightly off of the sheet and feather any roller lines that might have been left. I end up with a sheet that looks almost like it has been sprayed with the tinyest stipple to it. Oil based enamel with a touch of penetrol in it comes out like glass. If you use the oil route you might try it with the sheet flat as the open time is increased and you will have more chance of a sag. #1 noob mistake with a brush or roller is not enough paint. If you can hear the brush or roller, get some more paint on it. A sheet really only takes a couple minutes. Also, use the highest quality line that they sell at the pro shop. Why paint twice with a product that has 1/2 of the solids when you can paint once.

Salmoneye

Floetrol will help it lay out like pat said. Also, if you are getting differences in sheen it is from an uneven coat or uneven absorption from not being primed.

Salmoneye

Also, if it wasn't clear, this whole process will only take 2-3 minutes. The paint should never start to dry. You will need to lay it off while wet or it will be line city. You should also probably prime the edges just as you start so that you work of the heavy edge while painting the sheet. Or you could just use a cup gun for latex. In my sign work I don't use anything water based but that is not saying that you shouldn't.

Deaton Design

I always use a short nap roller for smooth surfaces, and I use satin finish. After rolling the whole board, I then go back and roll in even lines across the surface from one end to the next, making sure not to leave roller lines. After that dries, I do it again. This has always worked well for me.

signsolutions

So it appears that the foam rollers are the issue...i.e. not enough paint.

Flotrol....is this a paint extender?

Also, I will be painting to Astley from now on. It is echoing through the shop now.

The day is already better.

-Keith

weaselboogie

No foam rollers!. I usually crisscross. Lay down one direction and then a light pass going perpendicular.

Of course an automotive sprayer works the best if you have the room and the setup.

SignManiac

We spray most backgrounds and everything else. And use Flowtrol in the paint gun. If It's small, I use small foam brushes and stipple it for a uniform texture.

Salmoneye

Everyone thinks that a short nap is the way to go with smooth surfaces. On a flat sheet especially, if you have enough material, at the right viscosity especially with a little flo in it, it will lay out. Short nap rollers carry very little material run dry almost instantly and splatter everywhere when you work with them. They will work and they will cover because the surface is relatively flat but really the roller cover shouldn't be leaving the final finish. Shorter nap costs a little less but I can't remember the last time I used less than 1/2" on anything. I learned that early from all of the 40year journeyman old timers that I worked with. We use 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" lambswool covers for standard walls. You can coat an average bedroom wall with two dips in the bucket, running a feeder line in about two minutes perfect in one coat with no drips or splatter.

OldPaint

foam rollers are the way to go if you are PAINTING WITH OIL BASED PAINT!!!! my own preferance for panels i have to paint............AUTOMOTIVE ACYLIC ENAMEL sprayed on 2 coats. here in florida, you can paint on that same panel in bout 3 hours of it sitting in the sun baking))))))

signmeup

I use 5"(?) foam rollers. I dip the roller endwise into the quart can of latex and then roll it out.
I work pretty fast and I always keep the edge wet as I go along. Don't go back over the laid down paint too much... you'll make "dry" spots.

The other time tested secret... "practice".

visual800

spray it! I cant say it enuff and the best cheap gun you can buy is the purple on from harbor freight, hands down that damn gun rocks!

signmeup

spray it! I cant say it enuff and the best cheap gun you can buy is the purple on from harbor freight, hands down that damn gun rocks!

Latex is tough to spray... and I'm just guessing here but I suspect my $300 Binks works a little better than the "purple one from Harbor Freight".
A $1 foam roller does the job just fine, doesn't require cleaning, doesn't make a mess of overspray all over the shop, uses less paint....etc.