• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

latex print and cut combo (335) GO or NO GO???

should i go for it ?

• Total voters

Myles winger

Hi i am just starting out i have 2 years experience with a 30 inch cutter doing truck graphics, custom decals and little store fronts. I am looking to get an hp latex 335 print and cut combo with an royal sovereign 165lhs lam i am just wondering if this would be good or not moneys not the problem!

Thanks

Myles

BKBRO

Hi i am just starting out i have 2 years experience with a 30 inch cutter doing truck graphics, custom decals and little store fronts. I am looking to get an hp latex 335 print and cut combo with an royal sovereign 165lhs lam i am just wondering if this would be good or not moneys not the problem!

Thanks

Myles
We have been happy with our HP335. It's hard to beat the price for a latex ink printer in that size range. I agree with "2CT Media's" comment: a 365 is a more capable machine if you have the floorspace and budget. And they are dead right about the laminator -- buy the best laminator you can -- one bad lam run can put your project in the red in 15 seconds, and they can be really finicky beasts to use. Don't rely upon using off-brand consumables to make your numbers work -- HP generally makes it challenging to use consumables other than their OEM stuff. Not impossible, but often not worth the headaches

BKBRO

We have an Eastsign. Great price. Well made. In our educational environment, students new to the machine have great difficulty getting consistent results. Critical projects require an experienced operator. I wish we'd purchased a more forgiving device. In a production environment with operators familiar with the machine and the substrates I suspect it would perform acceptably. But I would not recommend it unless you're looking to keep your capital investment low. Our Prototype Lab is part of a public college, and our capital equipment is largely funded by grants rather than operational budgets, so decisions are often price- rather than performance-driven. If you have the money, buy the best laminator you can.

Eduardo Massuda

Thanks

Myles

" Dahhhh didn't see the date....(old post) got in fresh in my box....
let me know how are you running yours!"

Myles,
I had and have a 335 combo for 2 years ( but not he HP print and cut combo),
and pretty much gone to all the surprises.
- lets start from the bundle..... it is a great entry level package, but for me,
I was the very first one to get. I had a lot fun with the cutter and flexi and the cutter and the material to be cut didn't like me at all.

So I did returned the Bundle and got the very same Latex 335, and since not one single problem with it,
but a running a bit too hot on the suggested profiles ...
fixed all that .....I can send bunch profiles to you.

I sell lot small runs of decals..ie: 2"x3" 3"x3" 5"x10" and so on.
the 365....560 larger models yes it print lot faster.....
but the 335 have a simpler plate thru and easy to fix in case of service.
I dind't find no need for a more robust unit yet, but i would consider #2 - 335.

The problem now is down to software and better cutter,
So I'm very happy that I replaced the entry level HP summa to S2 160D,
one of the decision was just have lot more refine components and lot more efficient to cut.
Trust me this S2 160D summa cutting 6 mil floor graphics get a smile in your face,
and the entry level you may wanna hammer down.
* If you be cutting heavier material suggest Drag knife cutting, but if just decals contour all day.... T head series.
GRAPHITEC Also it is a great cutter, but the automation on the summa (auto cut) is far a trouble free with S2 summas.

Sofware.....
I current use Onyx to print and drive both, since i dumped flexi to manage print and cut,
and I do have full program installed, just use it to vector something and make the contour path.

Not using Flexi to do the print and cut but using Onyx to drive print and cut I have for 2 years consider zero waste.

Flexi is a good program to create the cutting path..... the 32 bit had its limitations and didnt like some adobe layers.
I do use signlab and lot times adobe AI or corel, ...... it does the same, since I also have 2 roland printers.
If you have Onyx I recommend to print and cut engine, If not Flexi will do just fine.

Laminator
in the post you will have comments about a better laminator......
yes get the one with pre-heater, will laminate lot better.
I have a bad EL54 Seal. IT does a decent job. but you have to be a darn good operator or this thing can hang your day.
in this case always use a secure start up paper to make sure it goes strait across or your printed media goes to waste.
Mistral is a great laminator, but it comes with $15 price tag.
I'm current on the tryout on the new mimaki with Pre heater $6,500 or this chinese, assumed same factory. If I loose on this one I will be using to transfer heavy material, like MDO etc.,

I will make a separate post for this one. here is the chinese version ..... $2,400 - $3,500 - https://www.sign-in-global.us/produ...ed_cold_laminator_wide_format_laminating.html

Bottom line:
I do recommend the 335 with Summa S2 160D, Onyx print and cut.
and if you have Flexi or sign lab all 3 will drive your machine fine.
Heater assis for lamination it is a must.

If money is a problem,...... HP 335 combo and the chinese high end laminator,
will give you the start up
and upgrade better units later on.
Eduardo.

Last edited:

Jb1983

I bought the 315 combo just under a year ago and im pretty happy with it. Not sure what the guy above disliked about the cutter as I have been very impressed with mine. I have literally no complaints about the cutter.
As for the printer, I went 315 over 335 since using 60" vinyl is not as cost effective as 54" from what I hear most people with 60" printers still run the 54" vinyl for the most part.
The downsides to the HP Latex are color consistency and the excessive heat needed to dry the prints and some vinyls , mostly the cheaper calender ones having issues and then you get head strikes.
Yes there's things to keep your colors more consistant im sure people will chime in on that, color calibration yada yada but this all takes a lot of wasted time and more importantly wasted material so its a downside.
My Mimaki eco solvent 2in1 machine was very consistant on colors with no calibration needed, but the cutter absolutely sucked.

As for Laminator, buy a good one! I got a GFP 255c when I first started and its a total POS! Im in the market for a new one and turning this in to a mounting machine only.

Sales Rep is telling me the new GFP are good, but I am skeptical since the previous version was junk, ive heard Royal Soverign are good and the most popular around these parts....

Robert Gruner

Thanks

Myles
Your original post was on May 16. It has been almost a month and folks have posted their thoughts. If you have purchased, "What did you decide upon?" If not, my suggestion. I believe you should ask your Dealer to quote you a HP Latex 365 with Onyx PS RIP, a SummaCut D140 (54" wide cutter), and a 54" Royal Sovereign mounter/laminator. The HP Latex 335/64" cutter bundle is very nice and the interface software HP developed for print and cut is very nice; but, "Who cuts adhesive backed vinyl wider than 54"?" Very, very few (some in auto wrap industry). In addition, "Why a 64" wide mounter/laminator?" Same reason; "Who mounts/laminates adhesive backed vinyl wider than 54"?" I should think you come close to paying the same for an HP 64" wide printer and cutter combo plus a 64" wide laminator as you would for a HP Latex 365 (Much higher performance than Latex 335) bundled with Onyx PS RIP, 54" wide cutter and laminator/mounter. Much better deal in my opinion.