• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex Printing on Fabrics

highwaypeter

Hey Folks.... A customer of mine owns a mobile clothing retail truck, and was curious about possibly printing onto material that would be made into tote bags... Are any of you aware of any roll goods that would produce a quality result? I am running an L26500, and to tell the truth am still getting my feet wet with this machine as i just got it last month. Any help is appreciated!

:smile:

ProColorGraphics

I would get a hold of Berger or Fischer Textiles. They both are more than willing to send you samples to try. All you have to do is cover the shipping.

sballinger

95% of what comes off our Latex 850 is textiles. We print primarily Fisher Textiles GF4417 Soft Knit and Triple White. Get a hold of James Gay at Fisher Textiles and tell him what your looking for. He's a great guy and knows his stuff. We even showed him that the latex can print on sheer fabric that they haven't even approved for that machine yet!

I'm printing fencing fabric as I type this...it's looking great!

As prior posters have stated, there are a lot of textile options for latex inks. Berger, Fisher, Aberdeen, Aurora (and more) are all reputable sources for latex ink-compatible fabrics.

sballinger

Speaking of Aberdeen, has anyone received sample books from them? I've called twice and received nothing. Berger, Neschen and Top Value are over priced for the small difference in color and scratch resistance

Bly

What uses are latex fabric prints being put to?
Just displays or furnishings etc?

sballinger

I can only speak for our uses but tension fabric on aluminum frames is one of our big markets. The latex printed textile is great for fabric structures at trade shows that are only going to see 1-3 shows and then get tossed. It's no where as durable as dye sub but it still works great for us. I'll have to throw some pictures up of some of the signs and displays we have done in the past year. I think almost every project I have worked on has some fabric incorporated into it.

sballinger

BrunsBooth (9).jpg Hytera1.jpg Neusoft 4 copy.jpg Wanzek1 copy.jpg

Ok here are 4 exhibits our shop did the graphics for. The Brunswick booth has lots of latex fabric, the upper panels and the images of the bowlers...all latex. Hytera's upper id system is also latex fabric. The stuff works great!

sballinger

The finishing ranges from velcro (like the Hytera job) to Silicone Edge material (like Brunswick) All cutting and finishing is done in house. We are a very small shop so I've learn to run our Juki lockstitch machine very well!

GB2

Old Member
...and if you don't mind, could you tell a little more about the Juki and the sewing process. What model do you use, is it a single needle or double needle? Do you sew the Velcro on? Do you make those frames or are they purchased?

danno

Very nice work. Did you have any issues with the sewing machine scratching the ink as it went through the feet? We're running a LX800 and have had that issue with most fabrics except a Berger product.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Free Latex Fabric

Anyone with a latex printer here is a coupon for a free full roll of fabric from Berger if your interested.

Attachments

• 148x300-Leafleat-berger-16-sept-2013-Josh-Cormany (1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 102

sballinger

Our Juki does scratch the latex a little bit. You notice it on darker colors of course. I'm actually in the middle of re profiling our fabrics because I just had a phone conversation with a Scitex Architect in Atlanta and we have figured out a better way to profile textiles without using the spectro on the machine. So far the results are the best i've seen on this machine in 2 years. It's using less ink so that will help with the scratching as well.

sballinger

Oh in regards to the sewing machine. It's a single needle lockstitch Juki machine. I sew all the velcro or SEG onto the fabric. The frames you see are manufactured by the exhibit company we do work for. It's Octanorm, another aluminum extrusion for building exhibits, frames, etc. You can do numerous things with the extrusion, like silicone edge, velcro, infill pvc/plexi panels.

Nishan

sewing tip

The trick to sewing "Jonc" or silicone edge , is to make sure the jonc is below the fabric. This way the bottom grooved feeder does not grip and mark the print. Also you can replace the metal foot with a teflon foot set. If the operator is not skilled enuf to guide the jonc, just build a little guide in the front and back of the machine to guide the jonc.. this way the operator just needs to focus on the top of the fabric. Also whatever little needle marks etc on the top gets lost in the frame anyways. Hope this helps. You can also google "matic sewing machines" to get some ideas.. expensive onee :)