• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex vs. Resin Printing for Wraps

AGinVT

So, we're getting ready to purchase a new large-format printer for our shop, and are debating whether to go with resin or latex inks. Our current
printer we use for wraps is a latex (HP), and replaced a solvent-ink printer several years ago. I VERY MUCH prefer latex inks to solvent, as I have
always found that solvent inks negatively affect our wrap film's air egress and repositionability in situations of heavy ink coverage, regardless
of the dry time (normally we use 3M IJ180). Is there a similar risk of resin inks making wrap film too "gooey" for installers? I have heard some
rumors and wondered if there was anything to them. My boss is heavily leaning resin, but I'm not convinced. I would never go back to solvent for
full-print wraps, and I'm wondering if there is a similar risk with resin.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Latex and Resin inks are essentially the same thing. Latex inks don't actually have latex rubber in them like a lot of people think. Latex in the context of HP ink refers to a solution of polymers in water. They mix polymers and color pigments in water and you've got HP latex ink. Resin is a polymer and they mix it with water and color pigments. The different polymers, pigments and ratios of those things might differ but at the end of the day they are the same thing.

AGinVT

Latex and Resin inks are essentially the same thing. Latex inks don't actually have latex rubber in them like a lot of people think. Latex in the context of HP ink refers to a solution of polymers in water. They mix polymers and color pigments in water and you've got HP latex ink. Resin is a polymer and they mix it with water and color pigments. The different polymers, pigments and ratios of those things might differ but at the end of the day they are the same thing.
Thank you. Had no idea. There are a few advantages to the resin (lower ink costs, less media waste on leading edge of prints, etc). Just want to be sure my installers won’t see any decreased repositionability. Night and day between our HP latex and Soljet eco-solvent, and don’t want to move backward.

IndySignPro

We print exclusively Eco-Solvent (Roland and Epson) for Wraps. The reason: The Wraps Last Longer. We have seen severe fading at 3 years on UV and Latex wraps, while the eco-solvent look like new at 7 years. Yes the ink cost's more but very worth it for the customer.

ikarasu

I doubt your setting facing in latex after 3 years. We've had wraps it there for 7+ that looks as good as day one. We do dozens of police vehicles with our latex - most get checked out every 3 years, but there's a few old ones that are 6-7 years old. Everytime they get into an accident we replace a panel... And it's almost a perfect match.

I can believe it with certain UV technologies, but again... There's UV, UV gel, different technologies and I'm sure UV gel lasts more than 3 years.

As for resin - I koveo ur resin. I can print right on the leading edge and zero issues. I'm also an installer - you can't tell the difference between a latex and a resin install wise... As mentioned the inks pretty much the same.

Panels are always perfectly matched on the resin too. I've done a dozen or so 10 ft x 10 ft wall wraps (the resin is my home / side printer) and everything is perfect.... Latex is always off by 1/8 to 1/4.

One big downside is it's.not 3m MC's warrantied yet though. Unless it got certification in the last 6 months.... So everything you do has to be self warrantied. That's the main reason our shop hasn't bought one... Being a 3m certified shop means we can't "chance" it. Dumb rule, and I've been using a resin for almost a year now...all I can say is it has all the upsides and none of the downsides of a latex printer.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another!