• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lava Meltdown

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Running a Mutoh Falcon perfect for months (OEM ink). I purchased lavaInk because they claim to be 100% compatible with OEM and are reasonably priced. As soon as I put the first bit of LAVA in my machine there was a meltdown. Yellow LAVA was installed and all hell has broken loose. Ink dosen't pump properly and dropout occurs when printing. There is a 1:1,000,000 chance a rock got sucked into the yellow damper went when I installed the cartridge, but I doubt it. One minute it prints fine the next its lavafied. There also dosent seem to be any FAQ or support on the website. I did a search on google to see if I could find any answers and it seems like they used to have a forum. It seems like someone hacked it with p*rn spam. The p*rn didn't seem to be very helpfull so I am pulling the LAVA and never looking back.

Valentino

seriously, the cost of the savings don't add up with the extra maintenance/parts you'll need. There are so many Chinese companies selling "MUTOH GUARANTEED" ink. 65.00 a cartridge is a deal.

plus I like knowing I can call Randy and blame him if I have any ink problems! lol.

VinylCraft

Very sorry to hear that. You can never go wrong with OEM ink? unless your supplier gives you the wrong stuff on the other hand supplier pays to fix your s*#t. They did mine anyways. Good luck with that.

ahollow

I've been through two sets of Lava inks with no problems, other than the "aroma" is slightly more than the OEM ink.

Flame

Call SignWarehouse and ask the about Lava.... lol. SW and Lava got into quite the arguement and there is a public notice on their site to NOT use Lava inks.

I put their inks in my printer.. and it cost me thousands and thousands of dollars. It ruined my ink pump, clogged my lines, made a mess of the prints (EVERY job I printed with Lava inks for almost 2 weeks, I had to re-do)... they are junk inks. Not compatible with a Mutoh at all. Found out also that the horrid Dico inks... come from the same factory with the same address.

Best thing that can happen to Lava is them going out of business. :thumb:

schurms

Call SignWarehouse and ask the about Lava.... lol. SW and Lava got into quite the arguement and there is a public notice on their site to NOT use Lava inks.

I put their inks in my printer.. and it cost me thousands and thousands of dollars. It ruined my ink pump, clogged my lines, made a mess of the prints (EVERY job I printed with Lava inks for almost 2 weeks, I had to re-do)... they are junk inks. Not compatible with a Mutoh at all. Found out also that the horrid Dico inks... come from the same factory with the same address.

Best thing that can happen to Lava is them going out of business. :thumb:

Call Sign Warehouse and they will tell you only flexi works on a ValueJet.

Flame

Call Sign Warehouse and they will tell you only flexi works on a ValueJet.

LOL. Yes, don't I know. That's how I ended up with Flexi.

However, I saw first hand the little scrap between SW and Lava. They went at it, threatened to sue each other (don't know if they did or not). Not good.

Myself, I'd do what I can to stop as many Lava sales as possible. It took me months to regroup from the damage their inks caused, not really something I am pleased about.

rockz12

In all fairness to lava and the people who use it...
The next day I tried it again. Did two cleanings and it printed beautiful. Smelled like S*it though. I guess it needs time to be accepted after the old ink. Kind of like printing with oil then printing with vinegar.... I have a few LAVAs so I midas well try and use them, gonna do a test to see if color and durability hold up on it.

Flame

Try this. Print on banner material, wait 5 minutes then scratch the material with your fingernail lightly. Does the ink come off?

Wait 15 minutes and then try again.

Wait 2 hours and then try again.

In a week, go try again.

I had a $1000+ job go to pot because all of the ink came off of the banners. Where ever it got folded, the ink came off. Whenever it got scratched, the ink came off. They looked like **** in 2 weeks.

rockz12

I'm gonna give it the hoover test because of your previous posts.. Ill let you know what happens. Lava ink sounds like some of the UV inks available nowadays for grand format (cracking).

threeputt

Don't understand the big push to use third party inks. Do you really save significant amounts of money?

I may be crazy but my ink costs are one of the least of my costs. But that's just me.