• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layering vinyl in the shop?

SIGNTIME

Normally when we do a job that requires layering vinyl we do the layering on site on whatever the vinyl is being applied to. The reason we do it this way is because whenever we have tried to layer the vinyl in the shop and apply the layers together on a car or substrate, we get bubbles in the bottom layer around the edges of the top layer. I believe this may be happening because of the transfer tape we use and stock which is 4075-RLA. What transfer tape performs best for this application if this is the cause of our problem, or what else could be causing this. *dry app

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
The problem may be the kind of applicator you are using. A hard squeegee will not apply several layers evenly no matter what you use for transfer tape. Cover the edge of the squeegee with felt.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We still do this from time to time, but we always layer as we go on the substrate itself. You seem to have much more control over your end result.... and less headaches overall.

gabagoo

Pre assembled vinyl with overlaps almost always results in air or water getting trapped and resulting in disaster.

Last edited:

SIGNTIME

danm I was hoping I was hoping I was doing something wrong... usally only 2 layers with a "hard" (flexible) squegee. Guess I will try it with the soft end of a geekwrap squegee or an oshee see if it makes any difference... thank you

Signed Out

what about 2 color ready to apply decals? For instance we have one customer who has a handful of rta's left but is running out. they are metallic gold and black, pre layered, they got 50 of them years ago, not from us, and want to order more. We took a sample one and applied it to a wall, dry with a hard squeege and it went down flawlessly. When we try to do it ourselves it leaves all sorts of little bubbles around the overlay. The transfer tape on the sample seemed to have a higher tack then what we normally use.

I layer all my stuff in the shop before i install use R-tape psa application tape ive never had to many problems if the image is big we will apply a layer at a time....just make sure and use a lot of pressure and the layers should stick fine and not bubble during application.

OlsonSigns601

We started off, 3 colors we will print, 2 we layer.
Its been almost 4 years with a printer now. Now we just print anything with an outline.

Unless its 1 color, we print. Time > Cost

tsgstl

Air is trapped because of the thickness of the second layer of vinyl. More or less the same reason you would trap air in vinyl on a banner if there is a seam on your table underneath the banner. IE where there is a void there will be bubbles.

mudmedia

I layer everything on the substrate BUT I did run into a little halt this week. What if someone wants 2 colors but you need to line them up not an outline but lets just say multiple color decal. Is there a backing paper or some type of wax paper that is good to use to assemble the decal before masking?

jasonx

I layer everything on the substrate BUT I did run into a little halt this week. What if someone wants 2 colors but you need to line them up not an outline but lets just say multiple color decal. Is there a backing paper or some type of wax paper that is good to use to assemble the decal before masking?

App tape the first colour. Lift it off then register to the second colour vinyl. Sorted.

I layer all of my stuff post mask its so easy i set up the cut files in flexi to leave a small box caddy corner from each other on both cut files. I weed both cut files mask the top layer remove it from the backing paper line the cut squares i talked about up with each other and apply the mask to the bottom layer works like a charm every time no bubbles no problems.