• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laying one full sheet

2 see signz

ive just put down a 1200mm x 2400mm sheet of vinyl on a composite panel to change the background colour,
Question is how would you do it?
with only two hands available
this is how i done it ( learning the hard way)
1. cleaned with isopypl alcohol
2. wet the whole back of vinyl with app fluid(not home made)((no app tape))
3. worked with a felt block from the middle out

this was on a bench laying flat.

hope to hear how others would handle this type of installation,

AUTO-FX

Not an easy task if you dont have automation or extra hands.
I have done similar "laminations" in that fashion, but not a full size sheet.
Since I purchased a Big Squeegee a couple of years ago, that has become my preferred method. And I like to apply transfer tape on those bigger laminations. An extra step, but cheap insurance.

FS-Keith

clean board, put 2" strip of application tape on one end, peal back backing paper that 2", then lay down vinyl and peal backing I paper as you sqeegee it down dry.

AUTO-FX

clean board, put 2" strip of application tape on one end, peal back backing paper that 2", then lay down vinyl and peal backing I paper as you sqeegee it down dry.

Keith, would you have the vinyl rolled around a tube so you dont have to hold it up ?

FS-Keith

Keith, would you have the vinyl rolled around a tube so you dont have to hold it up ?

nope I just have it laid the whole length of the substrate and pull back about 6" at a time with my left hand and squeegee with my right. I can pull back the backing paper and keep the vinyl taught with my left while I continuously squeegee with my right. Gotten it down to a pretty good science. No flatbed for me until my arm falls off.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Nice video! Thanks!

Just a note that I hope will help you out. The backing comes off easier if you roll the vinyl up so the paper is on the inside of the roll. By rolling it up with the paper out, the feed is coming off the top of the roll and starts the paper bending when it should be straight. If the vinyl comes off the bottom of the roll, the paper is held more straight and is less likely to fold under.