Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD monitors

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by peavey123, Sep 10, 2008.

1. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Hi All, My monitor went last night so I need a new one. My comp is a G4 power mac (old I know) with a VGA out and an ASC or ACS out (apple display)
    So, what type of connection do these new LCD monitors have? I think its DVI? and is it possible to hook on up to my old G4 through the VGA port via a dvi to VGA adapter or something? basically what are my options here?

Tags:
  2. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
  3. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    You can get a DVI adapter, most of better quality new displays even come with one. As for what type of monitor, there was a pretty extensive post a while back about them you may want to check out.

4. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks guys. I won't be doing too much designing on this comp as it is so old but this is all good to know for the future as I am looking at getting a new mac in the next couple months and may as well get a good monitor now.

5. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

Aaron, If you already know that you're getting a new Mac soon why not save your money
    for a nice 24" iMac? For now just get the cheapest LCD you need to get by.
    That is unless your going to get a MacPro desktop unit that you would use your new monitor with. Unless your running a bunch of specialized equipment the iMac should serve you very well.

6. cgsigns_jamie

cgsigns_jamie Very Active Member

If your planning on using the VGA port you will need a converter box.

Your best bet is to use the Apple Display Connector (ADC) and get this connector to connect a DVI based monitor.

Or you can always buy a monitor with a VGA connector. It won't be digital but it will be good enough for what you want. Most monitors have both connections, all my Dell's have both connections.

7. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks all!!

So it turns out most monitors these days have a VGA connection anyways. So my mac store guy and all of you were right! I just picked up a cheap samsung LCD and its is working fine.

Man I thought I was gonna die (not literally) without internet! that can't be good! lol

8. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yea, its pretty crazy how attached to the net we are. I try to take a couple of days a month and not touch the internet or tv all day. Just books and time with the fam.