• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LCD monitors

peavey123

Hi All, My monitor went last night so I need a new one. My comp is a G4 power mac (old I know) with a VGA out and an ASC or ACS out (apple display)
So, what type of connection do these new LCD monitors have? I think its DVI? and is it possible to hook on up to my old G4 through the VGA port via a dvi to VGA adapter or something? basically what are my options here?

GK

You can get a DVI adapter, most of better quality new displays even come with one. As for what type of monitor, there was a pretty extensive post a while back about them you may want to check out.

peavey123

Thanks guys. I won't be doing too much designing on this comp as it is so old but this is all good to know for the future as I am looking at getting a new mac in the next couple months and may as well get a good monitor now.

Bill Modzel

Aaron, If you already know that you're getting a new Mac soon why not save your money
for a nice 24" iMac? For now just get the cheapest LCD you need to get by.
That is unless your going to get a MacPro desktop unit that you would use your new monitor with. Unless your running a bunch of specialized equipment the iMac should serve you very well.

cgsigns_jamie

If your planning on using the VGA port you will need a converter box.

To connect an analog source to a digital display, you'll need a VGA to DVI-D electronic convertor

Your best bet is to use the Apple Display Connector (ADC) and get this connector to connect a DVI based monitor.

Or you can always buy a monitor with a VGA connector. It won't be digital but it will be good enough for what you want. Most monitors have both connections, all my Dell's have both connections.

peavey123

Thanks all!!

So it turns out most monitors these days have a VGA connection anyways. So my mac store guy and all of you were right! I just picked up a cheap samsung LCD and its is working fine.

Man I thought I was gonna die (not literally) without internet! that can't be good! lol

animenick65

Yea, its pretty crazy how attached to the net we are. I try to take a couple of days a month and not touch the internet or tv all day. Just books and time with the fam.