• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help learning > Cant open certain cdr or AI files in Composer 2.0

Colt67

new at this (learning to cut files to gerber 750 plus plotter) and need some advice on trying to open .cdr files made with CorelDraw X3 or cdr converted to AI files in Composer 2.0. > get errors. Some files open and some do not. tried some things but not working
Thank you in advance for any help

CanuckSigns

Composer 2.0 is very old, we run version 1.6 or something, so I feel your pain. We usually end up saving as an .eps file in the lowest version possible in illustrator or Corel and importing that into composer. It's a bit of a PITA and one of the reasons we try to run most jobs on our solvent machine these days.

Colt67

corel does not have eps but illustrator does> converted one cdr file in illustrator to eps and tried importing in composer but error says encountered problem and will shut down
can not open cdr files in composer -error msgs for some files > unknown error encountered while importing
or encountered a problem and will shut down or some cdr files will just show nothing in composer

cdr files converted to illustrator will not open in composer and show error msgs as well

the cdr files open ok in CorelDraw 13 since they were created there

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Any version of CorelDraw or Illustrator released later than the date of your version of Omega is going to give you problems opening them in Omega. You either have to save them back to a version Omega can handle or upgrade your Omega.

I just checked in my copy of Omega 3 and it will open a CDR file from version 3 to 8 ... pretty sure your version 2 will open close to that. So all you have to do is save the CDR back to an older version that will work in your version 2. Illustrator does, IMHO, a better job but you will still need to save back to an earlier version of either EPS or AI. Illustrator version 8 or earlier should work for most of your situations.

Colt67

using adobe illustrator cs3 (2007) and CorelDraw 13 (2005)
3 files of cdr made into AI > do open in composer but the others do not (types of files are AI adobe illustrator artwork 13.0 and the cdr is CorelDraw x3 graphic)
is there something in the design file that is making it not open in composer?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Try saving the CDR files back to version 8 and see if they will open in Composer as well as Illustrator. Omega 2.0 was released around 2003 so it isn't going to be able to open the versions you are working with. You might also try saving in Corel as .CMX. Gerber has an excellent CMX import filter.

Do you understand about how to save a file back to an earlier version in Corel and/or Illustrator?