• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Learning the DC4SX

MikeD

Just got a DC4SX. Great machine, but I am still learning how to run it.
I am getting some defects when I print large fields of any solid spot color on an exotic substrate. When using 3M Premium Cast White, the print is perfect. The defect is a series of crescent shaped lines that grow in number as the print head gets further from the control panel side of the printer.
I have set the overall density everywhere from low to high, and am currently adjusting the pull and brake ribbon motors.

Anybody have similar experience when printing on specialty substrates? Where do you look to make adjustments first?

FrankW

What means "set the overall density everywhere from low to high"? It is a possibility in the machine to switch from normal to double density, but this won't help. Check the manual, Chapter 2.2, for finetuning the density.

But it could be too that the media is not compatible with thermal transfer printing.

pjfmeister

I'm not familure with the dc4 but we had a dc3 that had a roller that cleaned the media...tear off sticky paper type roller for lack of better descrription.... If it was dirty you would notice print problems in large solid color areas first...
Sorry not much help, but u never know

MikeD

I have set the density relatively low and the defect disappears, but the some colors look faded. I set the density relatively high, and ended up breaking the ribbon... but I also went into service mode and made some adjustments that were a little out of my technical scope. Everything is back to default now.
This is a great machine, especially with features like the media cleaning roller mentioned above among many other things. The color registration is similar in quality to an inkjet!
I am just beginning to scratch the surface with this thing, so any advice I can get is appreciated. Luckily Summa has an incredible technical staff to help figure things out too.

MikeD

...AND, as FrankW offered, I am working with material that is definitely not typical for printing- thermal resin or solvent inkjet. It looks cool, so I'm trying to make it work. I print the same file on regular white vinyl and it comes out perfect.

garisimo

The substrate can make a huge difference, especially if it is matte -- keep in mind that you can adjust the density settings for individual colors, too, through the control panel -- you would be advised to create a profile for this experiment, with a separate user profile for 3m white.

-g-

If you can't quite pin down the Density to where the colors don't look faded but the ribbon doesn't stick to the material then turn on Double Density. Halves the print speed but makes it print much, much better on anything other than the Premium. I even have it set to on with the Intermediate film from Summa, just looks brighter, more complete transfer.

Jim Doggett

35 lines per inch; double-dot screen. :)

Edit: forgot to add. Printing CMY gets richer colors and saves a bundle on ribbon. CMYK delivers better accuracy (color) and more detail in lighter toned areas, but can make banding more apparent, and of course uses more ribbon.