• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Learning The Hard Way

dlndesign

Had .5" Acrylic Letters on a smooth concrete building installed last week. Two sets, one was a logo 24" x 36", solid. The rest were individual letters. Full day worth of install for two guys. Used plenty of VHB, Silicone to secure everything and a lot more just in case on the larger logo.

Not sure if you all know, but we had a nice big earthquake about 4 days later here in San Diego. Took the logo piece right off, hit the ground and bounced into the street. Luckly no one was there when it happened. Whew!

So lession learned, if not stud mounted, go thinner/lighter material.

J Hill Designs

OMG i would have def. stud mounted that...

glad to hear nothing too bad happened - insurance will prob cover it too...oh wait. act of god?

SignManiac

I never rely on adhesives alone. Always use both stud mount and adhesives just for extra insurance. Plus I can charge more on the install and use the liability risk to the customer to help sell the upgrade on better install.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Stud mount is a must on a job like that. Luckily no one was hurt and you didn't get sued...

dlndesign

You're telling me! Yes, I would have gone stud mount, but the customer wanted to go the cheaper route. Can't blame him, but I totally get what your saying SignManiac, put that liability on the customer and then see what they'll pay for. Wen't out again today to put it back up, don't want to invest too much more time with this. Going to check on it this weekend and possibly use some 3M Scotch Weld 110 around the edges and if I see any gaps. Damn Act of God!

i am with the SignManiac i always error on the side of caution and overbuild everything. i sleep much better at night on those stormy windy nights knowing that i have overbuilt everything. mechanical & chemical fasteners is the only way to go imo