• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Learning Wall Doggin'... video

signgal

PS
Teri thought up the proper term for females: Wallbitches! I love it.

LOL Thanks for the credit, Jill... I don't mind the title but wasn't sure others felt the same way. Hmmmmm.... maybe i should consider changing the username to "signbitch"

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo it just took too long to load here so I did not watch it.
But I am sure it was a cool vid.

Jill... you've got to find a faster connection and watch this video. It's very professionally done and very poignant to us ol' sign painters. There's a wealth of wisdom in the short 12 minutes. It was refreshing to hear guys talk about knowing they have a few years to go before they can do it... something rarely heard these days. Also, the respect and admiration two guys have for the old master is touching - and reminded me of my hero worship days of the master painters who trained me. One thing I was struck by was a comment that "if it looks good up close it probably won't look good from the ground". You can see that in the pattern a guy is pouncing. The lettering almost looks crude, but on the actual wall it looks awesome. I'd like to see this documentary as a full length feature film.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That was rewarding. It's nice to see some people are still doing it. I bet they're making a good buck at it now, too.

I too, was taken back by some well painted chrome lettering. Many years ago when I re-did a sign for a paint store... the original was painted like I had never seen before. The colors that were in there were amazing. As luck would have it, I found the guy that did it. He came to my shop and started showing me all kinds of stuff, because where I first started in signs.... no one had used that effect... or many others this guy had.

I always admired how they got the bubbles to look so real on those old Coca~Cola and beer signs. They just looked ice cold in the middle of summer.

When I was a kid, I rode my bike to a an old 12' x 40 'sign where a guy painted a double-sided billboard. It took him three days total and it was almost all picture work for a roadside luncheonette. You felt like you could reach out and eat that stuff right off the sign.

Thanks Arlo................... :thumb: