• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LED backlit signs

GVP

Greetings,

A customer mentioned he had come across full size exterior sign boxes that were lit with LED's rather than the usual fluorescent tubes. Does anyone have any info on these - a link perhaps?

Mainframe

This is an interesting concept I have been thinking about. I have been doing LED conversions on mostly channel letters & a couple of odd shaped signs, all filled initially with neon tubes, I had been using Sloan LEDs which in my opinion are very expensive. On a channel letter conversion, you have to send a full size vector mock up of the sign to Sloan & they will configure the amount of modules needed & how many transformers to hook up.

The last time I called for LED modules to my supplier (NGlantz & Sons) They offered me some LEDs made in China. I had to send the layout to the distributor in California & they sent me back the recommended LED layout. The job was 36 inch Honda letters, After ripping out the neon & installing the LEDs the customer was ecstatic about how well they light. The LEDs were as bright and as easy to use as any & were 1/3 the price!

Which brings me back to your post, I think these may be a good replacement for the
Florescent bulbs in the cabinets, if the sign would be single sided you could place them on the backer, if it is 2 sided you would need center strips or a center divider panel & place 2 times the amount of LEDs, which would be somewhat costly but to the educated customer, much less hassle than changing bulbs & or ballasts every couple of years & probably brighter & more energy efficient. If you build your own cabinets from a knock down kit you could easily add LEDs instead of traditional bulbs.

Sounds like you used JT LED's, there's some odd stuff coming up with that soon. What you use now may not be available down the road, it would suck to get stuck in a service predicament.

On the LED vs Fluorescent, you won't get brighter. At least not yet. Also, if you are going to use a LED product that is almost as bright as a hot or cold cathode lamp you're going to be giving up on energy efficiency. There is a trade off you are faced with.

The best advice I can give anyone reading this is, use the RIGHT light source for the right application. You WILL look pretty foolish in your clients eyes if you think/use, one component fits all and carry that train of thought for everything you do.

Last edited:

J Hill Designs

We use maxbrite LED's here -- I've made a few sign cabinets using them...pretty pricey @ ~$9 per foot, but good brightness and longevity...they also have the LED fluorescent tubes that use reg. T8 ballasts...just replace the old T8 tube with the LED one...pricey as well, but...

www.maxbriteled.com