• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help LED burgundy color

Fabi

Owner
Hey guys!

We have a project where the customer has front lit channel letters and they want them to light up burgundy. Issue we are having is if the color is correct when printing then the color that lights up looks red or pink. We have tried everything we can think of and we need some help with maybe a resolution to this problem.

Thanks a ton!

Pippin Decals

I had the same issue when i went to have something printed for my client that owns a LED National store.,,,,The customer needs to decide when they want the TRUE burgundy color is to be visible to the public. During the day or night. My customer wanted it to be accurate at night so they had to make the color darker for the day and at night its was accurate burgundy. Other wise it would be pink if you made it True burgundy for the daytime...

HandsomeBob

If the solution is not using a spot color such as 3M translucent burgundy vinyl then try a TWO LAYER PRINT.

Print one layer on clear and a second layer on translucent white. Put the translucent white on top of the one printed on clear.

During the day the translucent white will show and will look good because you did not have to over saturate in an attempt to get rich nighttime color.
During the night the extra layer of color from the clear will add richness to the translucent print to make the color pop.

This is where one of those roller tables comes in handy.

MikePro

agreed to above comments: its your single-layer print, being washed-out by the bright white light.
double-layer your print (NOT DOUBLE-INK, TWO LAYERS OF PRINT) OR use a cast vinyl color like 3M Burgundy Trans.

Fabi

Owner
Hi Henry, We used oracal burgundy translucent and it lit up red! So instead of buying another roll of the 3M or Arlon burgundy translucent vinyl. I used the sample and put it against LEDs and it lit up red too :( & unfortunately my vendors (glantz n son, gemini and interstate electric only sell them in rolls. Not by square feet.
Anyone know of a vendor that can sell by sqft or sqin? So I can try it on one letter (3m or arlon vinyl)

Or if anyone knows of any other burgundy translucent vinyl ... We will try anything.

Fabi

Owner
Reverse print the same image on clear vinyl and apply it to the back of the acrylic.
We did, and it looked red still. We printed their burgundy color on translucent and it lit up pink. So we did a double layer of the translucent (1st surface) and to me it looked burgundy, but client said it still looked red and not her color.

So we kept the double translucent layer first surface and added white int vinyl 2nd surface and it lit up burgundy. But then the client said it was too Dark. That the sign didn't light up bright and she "couldn't see it from 50 ft"!

Fabi

Owner
If the solution is not using a spot color such as 3M translucent burgundy vinyl then try a TWO LAYER PRINT.

Print one layer on clear and a second layer on translucent white. Put the translucent white on top of the one printed on clear.

During the day the translucent white will show and will look good because you did not have to over saturate in an attempt to get rich nighttime color.
During the night the extra layer of color from the clear will add richness to the translucent print to make the color pop.

This is where one of those roller tables comes in handy.
We tried that :( printing on clear and then placing on top of the clear the printed translucent. ..and she said it was too red :(.... ahhhh she is crazy

Fabi

Owner
We also tried using dimmer leds and red leds and that didn't work either.

I did see Jack in the Box and extra Mile that has some burgundy looking lit up signs. Would anyone know how that burgundy lit up color was achieved?

Fabi

Owner
I had the same issue when i went to have something printed for my client that owns a LED National store.,,,,The customer needs to decide when they want the TRUE burgundy color is to be visible to the public. During the day or night. My customer wanted it to be accurate at night so they had to make the color darker for the day and at night its was accurate burgundy. Other wise it would be pink if you made it True burgundy for the daytime...

I tried to explain that to my customer but she will not have that. She wants her burgundy color during the day and night. I wish I had your client. Mine is holding the balance hostage. & it's installed, looks great, and even passed City inspections and everything.

shoresigns

Clearly your customer doesn't understand how colours work, and you didn't think this through before you made the sign. If you make burgundy brighter, it isn't burgundy anymore—it's red, or pink.

Even if you dim it, it's not going to look like burgundy if it's the only thing illuminated at night. It's still going to look red. If it really has to be burgundy at night, the only way is to have a brighter colour behind/around it. Halo lighting might solve the problem in this scenario.