• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LED halo lighted interior signs

Jean Shimp

We are making a sign to go on an interior wall, size of sign approx 2'x3'. It will have LED lights to form a halo behind the sign panel. The lead wire will go through the wall up above the ceiling. Then it will connect (by an electrician) to the power from in the attic. Should we put a timer on this lighting? If not, how long will the LED's typically last if on 24/7? Open to suggestions. Thanks.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Check with the manufacturer on lifetime as it can vary. They're usually warrantied for X amount of hours. That said, I would definitely suggest a timer and a switch for easy on/off.

Timer for everyday use so they don't need to remember to turn it on and off and also so it can be on after hours. Switch so that if they take an extended leave (vacation/holiday) the sign can be turned off for safety reasons.

MikePro

not a fan of time clocks, the client rarely remembers how to reset for daylight savings and/or wants it on 20hrs of the day and, much like a computer, turning it on/off for just a few hours of downtime is actually more stressful on the system than simply leaving it on.
a physical switch on the wall or a disconnect on the sign itself, would be cheaper to setup than a timer.

as far as LED's being on 24/7, i wouldn't sweat it.... most of them are "rated" for 100k hours by the manufacturer, but will definitely go well beyond that in a controlled environment.

BHANNAM

We are making a sign to go on an interior wall, size of sign approx 2'x3'. It will have LED lights to form a halo behind the sign panel. The lead wire will go through the wall up above the ceiling. Then it will connect (by an electrician) to the power from in the attic. Should we put a timer on this lighting? If not, how long will the LED's typically last if on 24/7? Open to suggestions. Thanks.

Jean Shimp, standard suggestion is to have at least an on off switch. A timer would also be a great addition to help preserve not only the LED's but the power supply as well. A quality LED will at bare minimum show an L70 rating of 5+ years. (This states that the light degradation is not more than 30% before that timeframe). If a product runs for 24 hours for 5 years you are at a minimum of 43,800 hours. If the run time is cut in half at 12 hrs per day you could significantly extend the expected life. This is why there are so many varied results when it comes to LED's today.
Light degradation is not talked about nearly enough, but the easy way to think about it is overtime the light dims and becomes less efficient. An LED might run but not produce enough lumen output to be effective. How long do you need it to be at a manageable brightness level.
Many factors will determine the life expectancy so make sure you consult the manufactures warranty to verify how long you might be covered.
Three main things that kill a LED. Heat, fluctuating power, and moisture. Its weird to say, but its what's behind the curtain that keeps the show running. Quality components are essential so don't be fooled to think all LED's are created equal. There are some good pieces of information and options on www.Hanleyledsolutions.com

I hope this helps