• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Led light sets for the home

shakey0818

I just got a 11-12" led set with remote and a seporate music sensor with remote.I researched it for awhile before i jumped in.I wanted a good company that i would be able to re order from,one that had good customer service with a live person from america i could talk to and a good product.This company is great to deal with and has a good product.I dont know if this type of led lighting could be use in the sign industry but i figured i would let you know about them.I still ned a few more sets when i add some more exuiptment but for now im happy.

Attachments

• i phone 104.jpg
    i phone 104.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 71
  • i phone 101.jpg
    i phone 101.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 78
  • i phone 102.jpg
    i phone 102.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 68

GB2

Old Member
Funny you should post this...I was in IKEA the other day when I saw the same product and I paused to glance at it since I am contemplating a number of LED projects. There were a couple of other guys looking at it too and when I stopped they asked me if I would buy it, as they were trying to decide if they should get it or not to use behind their TV like you have shown. I thought for a second and told them that I really couldn't imagine why anyone would want to put it behind their TV like that, usually we like to turn all the lights off when watching TV and I especially wouldn't want some distracting changing color behind it. I asked them why they thought it was a good idea and they just looked at each other and said,"I don't know, it's just cool". So, anyway, the light kits at IKEA were very inexpensive, maybe about $14 for a TV kit. I see the link you posted has a much more extensive line but I just thought I'd mention that.

shakey0818

Funny you should post this...I was in IKEA the other day when I saw the same product and I paused to glance at it since I am contemplating a number of LED projects. There were a couple of other guys looking at it too and when I stopped they asked me if I would buy it, as they were trying to decide if they should get it or not to use behind their TV like you have shown. I thought for a second and told them that I really couldn't imagine why anyone would want to put it behind their TV like that, usually we like to turn all the lights off when watching TV and I especially wouldn't want some distracting changing color behind it. I asked them why they thought it was a good idea and they just looked at each other and said,"I don't know, it's just cool". So, anyway, the light kits at IKEA were very inexpensive, maybe about $14 for a TV kit. I see the link you posted has a much more extensive line but I just thought I'd mention that.

I looked into IKEA and i think their lights aren't as bright and the remote doesn't have as many functions.I just keep it on 1 color.Actually its very soothing on the eyes,and it has over 28 color choices.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Another coincidentally - I just installed a flex kit under my kitchen cabinets this morning! Somewhat fiddy to do if you really go custom with it. I used this kit

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=851

Not too tough but if you want to go full custom you have to do some soldering. You can cut the strip in marked spots and link the peices together with some wire. I ran 2 strips under each of the cabinets. Then flush mounted the dimmer knob in the side of a cabinet as well so you do not see any power supply, dimmer box etc. Those are both mounted inside one cabinet. On the dimmer, you can open it's box and the dimmer potentiometer actually connects to the circuit board with a detachable 3 wire cable so you can easily extend and remote mount the switch itself.

shakey0818

Another coincidentally - I just installed a flex kit under my kitchen cabinets this morning! Somewhat fiddy to do if you really go custom with it. I used this kit

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=851

Not too tough but if you want to go full custom you have to do some soldering. You can cut the strip in marked spots and link the peices together with some wire. I ran 2 strips under each of the cabinets. Then flush mounted the dimmer knob in the side of a cabinet as well so you do not see any power supply, dimmer box etc. Those are both mounted inside one cabinet. On the dimmer, you can open it's box and the dimmer potentiometer actually connects to the circuit board with a detachable 3 wire cable so you can easily extend and remote mount the switch itself.

Thanks for the info i think that is what i will be ordering soos for some long runs,i like the dimmer and the price is awsome.The co i got mine from has the same stuff but with a remote that changes color but the price is alot highe.They also have one for outdoor use//indoor that is totally enclosed with remote but for long rucn it is 4 times as much.i think illl use the one you bought.Thanks

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I actually found them on eBay. They have a different but similar kit with an inline dimmer which is probably easier to connect up. The power supply comes with a barrel connector installed on it as does one end of the led strip (the other end of the strip has bare wire connection installed). To use the dimmer you have to first cut the barrel connector off the power supply. No big deal really but the style dimmer on the kit I ordered only accept bare wires on it's screw terminals. Also - handy tip - on the style dimmer I got - the green power terminal unplugs from it and as I mentioned, you can open the dimmers box and remove the dimmer switch and extend it's cable for a custom install or leave it in it's somewhat unattractive box. I think the inline dimmer on the other kit probably looks nicer but I dont think you can remote mount the switch like on the kit I got.

They also have the multi color kits with the remotes and whatnot. The led strips themselves seem pretty high quality and have 3M double sided tape preinstalled on the back. They also have the waterproof kits, etc. Might try one of those to install along the inside lip of our pools this spring. :) I got the 3100k warm white for our cabinets. I dont like the ultra white for some things - too harsh. They also have nice little quick connectors of assorted styles which would honestly have been a lot easier and faster than soldering all the connections I made.

shakey0818

I actually found them on eBay. They have a different but similar kit with an inline dimmer which is probably easier to connect up. The power supply comes with a barrel connector installed on it as does one end of the led strip (the other end of the strip has bare wire connection installed). To use the dimmer you have to first cut the barrel connector off the power supply. No big deal really but the style dimmer on the kit I ordered only accept bare wires on it's screw terminals. Also - handy tip - on the style dimmer I got - the green power terminal unplugs from it and as I mentioned, you can open the dimmers box and remove the dimmer switch and extend it's cable for a custom install or leave it in it's somewhat unattractive box. I think the inline dimmer on the other kit probably looks nicer but I dont think you can remote mount the switch like on the kit I got.

They also have the multi color kits with the remotes and whatnot. The led strips themselves seem pretty high quality and have 3M double sided tape preinstalled on the back. They also have the waterproof kits, etc. Might try one of those to install along the inside lip of our pools this spring. :) I got the 3100k warm white for our cabinets. I dont like the ultra white for some things - too harsh. They also have nice little quick connectors of assorted styles which would honestly have been a lot easier and faster than soldering all the connections I made.

I will check it out thanks again

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Couple of so-so photos taken with my tablet.... kitchen is a mess. Low shot to try and show the lights have to be very low to see the actual strips. Other shot showing where I drilled to install the dimmer knob.

Attachments

• IMG_20120304_215139.jpg
    IMG_20120304_215139.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20120304_215152.jpg
    IMG_20120304_215152.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 57