Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question LED message centers and full color displays

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by Danny Dean, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Danny Dean

Danny Dean sign artist in wisconsin

Jan 26, 2017
    rice lake, wisconsin
    Hello folks,
    Say have any of you folks had experience buying these led cabinets from OLIVE LED? Its a chinese company based out of new york. The full color LED watchfire signs are awesome to add to your monumemt type signs, but are very cost restrictive and learning curve for sure. But what about the simple message centers, with white green and red copy with a handheld remote, which can be added to a sign structure for only a few hundred bucks? Anybody give me advice on what to watch out for, or if you have had experience with them or another company similar?

2. KMC

KMC Graphic Artist

Feb 12, 2018
    Alberta
    ask how often they upgrade or bring out new versions of the products, and if they keep parts in stock for the older versions after they have discontinued that product
    we deal with Daktronics #MadeInTheUSA and have nothing but great success with their products (they ship to Canada) and their support has been nothing but amazing

3. Regina

Regina New Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Little Ferry, NJ
    Be cautious on cheap message units...they had flooded the market a few year ago. A lot of sign distributors sold them, but they had problems with remotes plus they had a short life. When the broke down there was no way to fix them.As they say you get what you pay for. On larger units stay with Watchfire,Optec,Your Signage Source,They have been around & products last.

4. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I've sold (1) EMU in the last year from Optec. I have to say while the product was initially great, I've had nothing but problems with the hardware. Been through 2 modems in the last 2 months and nobody can offer up a reason why.

5. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    tell your customer WATCHFIRE or DAKTRONICS or nothing...plain and simple. I have bid several jobs for LED message centers and have lost all bids to imported boards and over short length of time saw these fail.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. night eagle

night eagle Active Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Crowley tx
    i have an olive led sign on my window and its lasted a couple of years w/ no problems...does what its supposed to do so far...

7. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    You get what you pay for. I've lost jobs to cheap crappy message boards someone else bid and smile when I see them not working. I wouldn't recommend going cheap. do it right the first time.

• Agree Agree x 1