• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question LED Retrofit is washing out the sign - solutions?

Precision

We replaced 4 large acrylic signs 2) 4'x8' and 2) 5'x10' 3'16" acrylic panels printed on Avery translucent vinyl on an HP360 with the rip settings to max ink density (supposed to be comparable to double striking). We also had an electrician retrofit the box with LEDs. All 4 of these are seperate cabinets.

The LEDs are so bright they are blowing thru the color at night. Can anyone offer the best solution for this scenario. Is there a dimmer possibility for the LEDs or is a print thing and the acrylics need refaced.

All opinions help me with possible solutions and are very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

ams

#1. Make sure you never ever use clear polycarbonate/acrylic.
#2. Always double strike the ink.
#3. Depending on the LED's used, they should be anywhere from 3" to 12" away from the face.
#4. Yes some LEDs are dimmable but not all of them. Check with the manufacturer to see if it's possible.

Andy D

I know this isn't what you're asking for a solution, but it's a pet peeve of mine....The only truly correct way to print a back lit sign (assuming you don't print white) is, color print, diffuser, color print.

Andy D

Is it too much light or are your lights "Hot Spotting"?
If they're hot spotting, a couple things you can try is adding diffuser vinyl to the second surface of the faces and/or adding reflective vinyl inside the cabinet, on back and returns, to even out the lighting.

Last edited:

Z SIGNS

This is how the big guys do it. the ones who do the big bank changeovers etc. We have good results doing what they do.

Print on clear.. lam that clear print ...apply to white translucent face. (2447 if possible)
Do the same in reverse and apply.

As far as the led's go you have to understand and follow the led mfg rules of distance to face spacing etc for your particular scenario
There are many different LEDs for different applications.It's not just throw some leds in the cabinet.

Printing on white translucent vinyl is just dumb in so many ways.