Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED Twinkle

Discussion in 'LEDs and Neon' started by AKProbeGT, Sep 18, 2014.

1. AKProbeGT

AKProbeGT Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I have a customer who is looking to get a channel logo made and would like the LEDs to twinkle. Any ideas on how we could accomplish this? The best idea I have is to buy a string of twinkling Christmas lights and position them inside the channel logo and that's not satisfactory to me. I can't find a controller that seems like it would do this.

Tags:
  2. Katy Schenold

Katy Schenold New Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Seattle
    Did you find something that worked for this? We have a similar request and so far all we can find are twinkling Christmas Lights or addressable systems which are very costly.

3. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    If you're into DIY, then there are plenty of DIY projects out there that could be relatively easily adapted to LEDs in channel letters. Most use either a RaspberryPi or an Arduino for controllers. Might be pricey for your customer, but this kind of special request warrants extra charges.

4. henryz

henryz Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Look at Tokistar light strings. We used these in the past and worked great for twinkling.

5. Katy Schenold

Katy Schenold New Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Seattle
    This looks perfect! Thank you so much.

6. AKProbeGT

AKProbeGT Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    No, I never found anything suitable.

7. Katy Schenold

Katy Schenold New Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Seattle
    Tokistar ended up working out great for our project! Thank you for the recommend!!

8. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    LED blinking is illegal in my city, so check with your local code before doing it.

9. Katy Schenold

Katy Schenold New Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Seattle
    It is here as well. This was for an interior application so it worked out for us!