• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Legality On Wall Murals

tdupster

I'm in a dilemma. I have a client that wants a wall mural in his kids room and sent me a picture of a action shot of a goalie stopping a goal (NHL goalie). The resolution is fine for the size of his wall.

Now my question is... If he posts it on Facebook saying that my company did the job, can there be répercutions?? As I live in a big hockey town (cough cough Montréal) and wouldn't want to get sued just because of a mural for a kids room.

P.S. My client found the picture on a wallpaper site

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Marlene

are they looking for a generic goalie? if so iStock has some nice ones. if it is a NHL goalie, don't do it as you don't own the rights to print t

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Having the know-how and equipment capability, doesn't always equate to giving a customer what they want. The very fact, that you are having second thoughts and checking it out here, means you have integrity and wanna do the right thing. With that thought in mind, I think you already know what you must do.

Years ago, when we hand painted Donald Duck or the Tasmanian Devil on a kid's sled or for a birthday party, you could do it, but that was 50 years ago. Today, with so much at your fingertips and the customer thinking all ya do is push a button and presto, there ya go..... well, it's that easy to get busted, too. Who ever pushes the button for print is the person responsible for duplicating wrongful material. You can lose quite bit for doing something like this. You must determine what is more important..... the coupla bucks you'll get for this, a happy kid or the knowing in the back of your mind, you just pulled a big illegal.

Could you get away with it ?? Most likely, but you'll still know you did this and next time it will come even easier to do, until one day, someone will be knocking at your door with handcuffs. Well, maybe a little melodramatic, but you catch my drift.

Do what you feel is right.............:rock-n-roll:

I'm in a dilemma. I have a client that wants a wall mural in his kids room and sent me a picture of a action shot of a goalie stopping a goal (NHL goalie). The resolution is fine for the size of his wall.

Now my question is... If he posts it on Facebook saying that my company did the job, can there be répercutions?? As I live in a big hockey town (cough cough Montréal) and wouldn't want to get sued just because of a mural for a kids room.

P.S. My client found the picture on a wallpaper site

If you live in Montreal why don't you go to the game and take your own picture

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Having the know-how and equipment capability, doesn't always equate to giving a customer what they want. The very fact, that you are having second thoughts and checking it out here, means you have integrity and wanna do the right thing. With that thought in mind, I think you already know what you must do.

Years ago, when we hand painted Donald Duck or the Tasmanian Devil on a kid's sled or for a birthday party, you could do it, but that was 50 years ago. Today, with so much at your fingertips and the customer thinking all ya do is push a button and presto, there ya go..... well, it's that easy to get busted, too. Who ever pushes the button for print is the person responsible for duplicating wrongful material. You can lose quite bit for doing something like this. You must determine what is more important..... the coupla bucks you'll get for this, a happy kid or the knowing in the back of your mind, you just pulled a big illegal.

Could you get away with it ?? Most likely, but you'll still know you did this and next time it will come even easier to do, until one day, someone will be knocking at your door with handcuffs. Well, maybe a little melodramatic, but you catch my drift.

Not sure if he wants to do the right thing so much as he doesn't want to get in trouble. :)

tdupster

I hear ya. Now with social media its so easy for someone to post something and/or a job you did or doing. So its pretty sensitive. With that being said, the client is now looking into buying the picture (as theirs no way that the picture could be taken from going to a game...as the shot is taken from the goalie's net) . Again I just want any legal issue of the NHL or the hockey team saying "Hey that picture was taken by an approved NHL photographer and you must pay royalties or pay for the picture itself". Especially when searching online you can find decent pics of games or players shot from the ice

tdupster

FYI guys, the client dished out the 600 bones for the pic and we got it printed on his garage door... Looks awesome

Bly

Well played.
I had someone ring a week ago who had an original painting he wanted scanned and blown up for his bedroom.
I told him he'd need to source the scan from the artist or have the artist contact me to assure that the client had his permission to reproduce it like that.
He sounded surprised I wouldn't just do it for him. "But I paid for the original".
My wife paints and sells her art so I know how this all works.
And yes it's too easy for people to share your work on social media these days so we should all be careful.