• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Leister Triac ST for welding seams?

sballinger

Quick question. We have a client that needs a 10' H x 245' W ft pvc mesh banner for an event in Sept. We have the mesh material picked out but of course it's only 164' and they won't special order a longer roll since we only need one roll. My boss wants to do an overlap seam and stitch it but it's going to be a pain in the neck to maneuver everything through our machine. I said to outsource it to someone with a 10' wide miller and be done but he insists on doing it in house. So can we get a Leister Triac ST and hot air weld the overlap seam? We don't need the weld pockets or anything else, just the seam. Will it hold up? How hard is it to get a good welded seam? How does the welder not melt or destroy the surface the banner is on? Never used a hot air welder and don't need this 245 ft banner falling off the building fascia.

gregwallace

Our mesh usually welds just fine however the material itself is easier to pull apart compared to our normal banner or flex material. I usually weld two pieces together and if I feel it needs a little extra strength stitch over the seam. Its really not a big deal working that much material through a sewing machine. Just roll out about 15-20 feet of material. Now turn your seam 90 degrees so that it lines up with the long edge of your print and fold the material around your seam edge until its small enough to fit through the sewing machine. You should only have to force 10 or 15 feet of material through the sewing machine instead of 150 feet.

Not sure if I'm making sense but I do this all of the time and we have a 20 foot weldmaster.