• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LEJ 640 white color not solid.

WitWolfy

Hi, we recently bought a Roland LEJ 640 and have been playing around with its features for a while. Just to notice we are struggling to get the darn thing to give us a perfect paper white like print. Most of the time its opal or a complete see through print all together.

Anyway to fix this?

Thanks

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We always double strike our UV whites to ensure they are 100% opaque.
Is there an option on the Roland for that anywhere?

Onyx lets us lay down up to 3 layers per pass on an Océ Arizona.

WitWolfy

Hmm... well I set the white on high quality and to return to origin for a second coat but its still not solid. are you saying that a 80-90% is the best I'm going to get?

WitWolfy

Yeah, makes sense. Just such a headache to go through so much effort when trying to do a basic white print. One would think they'd make variations to make it more convenient.

Ragnabrok

Adding to Pat's accuracy, a single pass of white on a UV machine, especially on something likes small text, should look like white out, not spilled milk. If your white is sad looking, especially compared to how it used to look. the ink may be sepearing, especially if you don't print white a lot.

If thats the case, shaking up the white cartridge, and running a powerful clean on that group can usually bring it back to life.

Brian27

If you don't use your white at all for a few days, it will start to settle which will give you transparent whites which will last until it runs through all the settled ink in the lines or whatever the technical term is.

Each day, the first time you run a white print it will run a circulation cycle. If you use white often, this works fine. If you don't then this won't help you. The only way to fix it is to purge the white/white or white/clear which wastes a lot of ink but it works. The instructions to do this are in the 640 manual. To my knowledge there is no way to manually run a circulation cycle beyond the automatic one. Purge is the only way to force circulation.

Not sure if they told you but you need to take the white cartridge out every morning and shake the hell out of it.

Don't run cleanings as they won't help you with this problem.

WitWolfy

If you don't use your white at all for a few days, it will start to settle which will give you transparent whites which will last until it runs through all the settled ink in the lines or whatever the technical term is.

Each day, the first time you run a white print it will run a circulation cycle. If you use white often, this works fine. If you don't then this won't help you. The only way to fix it is to purge the white/white or white/clear which wastes a lot of ink but it works. The instructions to do this are in the 640 manual. To my knowledge there is no way to manually run a circulation cycle beyond the automatic one. Purge is the only way to force circulation.

Not sure if they told you but you need to take the white cartridge out every morning and shake the hell out of it.

Don't run cleanings as they won't help you with this problem.

Yeah they did tell me, thanks. I shake it every morning.. Maybe I should just shake it for longer or something.. Oh well... Guess we'll sort it out eventually. It's just such a shame that the printer feels like wasted money when a everyday flat bed does it one shot with no hassles.

Brian27

Yeah they did tell me, thanks. I shake it every morning.. Maybe I should just shake it for longer or something.. Oh well... Guess we'll sort it out eventually. It's just such a shame that the printer feels like wasted money when a everyday flat bed does it one shot with no hassles.

Well you want get any argument from me that the 640 is a disaster. However, our FT does print opaque white when you give it the much needed attention it requires. Maybe our opinions of white are different. Feel free to post a picture and I'll compare it to ours.