• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Let him name the cost or not?

deegrafix

I'm in a sort of strange situation with a long time client (since 2000) that I have never gotten along with very well. We've even gone our separate ways for 4-5 years and still ended up doing business together for the last 5 years. This past January he feels like I charged him too much to wrap a Peterbuilt with sleeper in 3M Carbon Fiber as a rush job and I think if anything it should have been $500. more. We also wrapped 2 other trucks and a 53' trailer, all rush jobs. Really rushed. We both have hard feelings and may go our separate ways again but are doomed to still know each other because my son is his right hand man.

Long story short, he handed me a racing helmet in the middle of all this and I wrapped it to match the team. It's the first helmet I've ever done and I don't really know what it should go for. I want to tell him to give me what it's worth. I feel like it kind of puts him on the spot to be fair and lets him call the shot. My husband says he will hand me $20 and I'll lose my mind. Should I let him call it or come up with a price and invoice it straight up?

Attachments

• CAM00379.jpg
    CAM00379.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 99
  • CAM00378.jpg
    CAM00378.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 94
  • CAM00376.jpg
    CAM00376.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 77

Pat Whatley

I was always told that if they whine and complain that you're charging them too much but they keep using you then your pricing is correct.

bernie

My thinking is - if you start letting him pay what he wants instead of what
'you' should be charging him ... where will it end? Don't go there.

Obviously the guy can afford to purchase this type of equipment. He can afford
to pay what you charge to have his equipment wrapped. Last time I checked,
Peterbuilt didn't let someone name their price when purchasing one of their trucks
or trailers.

Bernie

Baz

I love it when people (commercial customers) tell me i am expensive! My answer is always: Well your product is also expensive, this other guy's product is expensive ... EVERYTHING IS EXPENSIVE.

Now do you want it or not .....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, your and his business should not reflect on your kid working there, but some people hold that kinda sh!t over ya all the time.

I've never wrapped a helmet, so I don't know what you should charge, but I've heard of them going for $400 and as little as $75. Give him a price, which you think is fair and if he can't deal with it, then gently say to him.... Okay, this is REALLY it this time. Give me $5.00 and go away, but never come back as I don't do business like this with another single sole. So..... adios. Don't say another word and walk away. If he bellyaches and stammers out anything, just ask, you really wanna get into this silly nonsense ?? I'm a business and so are you. You run yours your way and I run ours this way. I'm done with the bickering. It's not a game anymore.... and walk away for keeps this time. :noway:

Marlene

never let him name a price as he all ready devalues what you do by bitching about how much you charge. set a price based on what you think it is worth and go for it

signmeup

Give him a quote to sign off on before you do the job. Get a deposit too. Too late now but it's the only way to avoid what you're going through now. I would hand over an invoice for the helmet with whatever your shop charge for that job is.

Adrian

TammieH

You would not go into a store and tell the clerk I will pay ___$

Figure your time and charge accordingly, another thing it is always helpful to have a minimum charge for small jobs like this.