• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Let me have it both barrels please

Marlene

Like others have said in this thread, in the past I have seriously tried to give you the best, most solid piece of advice I could give you...and that is to quit wasting your time trying to be a designer. You have to face the fact you will never learn, you will never improve, and you will never be able to give your customers a quality, creative product if you try to design it. I don't care what book is recommended to you, what client says they love your layouts, what cousin of yours say their sign looks great, or whose best friend of your mother tells you they love your cards, your designs are garbage and they always be.

this is the best advice anyone could or ever will give to you. it isn't a put down, it just is. years ago I took tennis lessons and did everything I could to learn how to play and just couldn't. I suck at tennis and always will no matter how many lessons, no matter how hard I try as I am just not a person who can play. same goes for you with design. it's OK, as not everyone will be able to learn something and do it well. hire Jill, hire Dan or who ever but don't do any more on your own. get a deposit for a design, non-refundable and contact someone who can design and go for it.

ForgeInc

Quit telling your customers to hire Dan! Dan is in a very far removed league from what any of your customers would be willing to pay. You need someone 1-2 years out of design school. And don't give me the "all designers are flaky prima donnas" bull crap line because I know from experience in placing ads for design help there are a slew of hungry ones out there.

You don't need award winning design help, you just need someone who doesn't suck, like you. And you can find those people for 15/hr. But...you have to let THEM make all the decisions. From actually doing the work, to marketing your business, to helping you design your own website. The first time you try and step into that process, or make suggestions, any designer worth anything will walk away and I wouldn't blame them. There is nothing worse than doing work for someone who doesn't get it.

If you don't see this, then I take what I said back and you actually do NOT have any business sense. I wish I could shake you and pound this into ya...how many people have to tell you this before you will listen?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no need to be blunt. Some people can't see their own hand 10" from their face.

It's one thing to want to take complete charge of your projects, but only if you can do it. Doing what the OP is doing here is only hurting himself in the long run, hurting his future reputation all while giving the end-user a pitiful job. I mean..... a blue bathtub with illegible copy ??

For what it's worth, this whole thread could be a lesson to many-many people here.... not only in the design end of things, but how not to tell several stories and write them down....... before you memorize your fibs.

In reality, this is a good exercise on how to delegate. While Addie might be some sort of a salesman, in my findings, people selling inferior products and getting away with it are just banking on not getting caught. No offense, but that's been Addie's whole frame of mind, since coming aboard here.

Let’s take the name out of the equation and try this again.

• We have someone who has a potential customer come in and want signs. They see some of your work, which may or may not be your own.
  • You go on to sell them on design.
  • You fail miserably for almost a week.
  • Said customer finally decides on a bathtub to represent their business for an electric sign in their front window.
  • You don’t supply anything except a design [and a very bad one at that] and to decorate the face.
  • You can’t install it.
  • You wanted him to go to one of the country’s leading designers when all he wanted was a bathtub.
  • As mentioned, you referred them to Dan’s work, while showing him total crap.
  • You said you wanted experience to help in your designing skills and if anything….. it’s worse than some of the beginning tries.
  • You’ve learned nothing…. absofrickin’lutely nothing.

You should’ve been up front with your client and referred them to someone else immediately and taken yourself out of the whole loop.

If you want to broker, then broker. However, you should entertain the thought of never going beyond selling something..... and then finding the appropriate people to finalize your job.
By putting yourself in the middle of this thing, you’ve left the broker person by the roadside and you’re suddenly the world’s worst sign designer and maker.

Blunt, not at all. Just the honest to goodness truth. That #158 post has got to be one of the funniest and poorest layouts I’ve seen anywhere and you don’t even realize it. If this was April 1st, I could understand it, but we’re two weeks past that one.

Besides that, you tell us ‘designers’ want too much money for your projects…. that’s a cop out, too. You’re lowballing everything and have no design fee included, cause you DON’T know anything about it.

Yes, your first problem is your pricing. You don't price for design-time, fabrication, overhead, installation , permits, or any other business related needs. In fact, looking at your website when you first came around..... it sported all kinds of things you said you produced.... and in-house. After that was found out to be a bunch of lies, why is it, you can't design a simple 3' x 5' sign, but you have everything under the sign listed on your website. Who did all that stuff ??

:goodpost:
shut the computer off...
you are going about it all wrong...
grab a pen and do 6 thumbnail sketches..

I mean it... you wrote in that other thread that you meant to learn instead of brokering design work... yet a year ago, after many of us gave you numerous ideas on numerous posts... you said you give up & just want to leave it to the real designers...

...if you have changed your intentions, and now you really want to learn, then I hope you take the advice you are given... if you draw 6 concept sketches & post them, I will draw 6... if you don't, I will stay out of the way on your future help-me posts...

don't start computing before you have a concept... your layout is so weak, you could have posted a 30 second doodle on a post it note & received a unanimous "start-over" ...instead you spent more time on the computer than you should need for 6 sketches....

remember, the idea of a sketch is NOT to look good... so don't worry if you can draw... just try square layouts, round ones... ovals... use banners or ribbons.. use panels... rule lines... just think up some variations, and play with prioritizing copy... with 6, you will almost always get one or two that are vastly more appropriate or functional than the others.. then you could make 6 versions of that one (or two) concept(s)...

then you can think about color and fonts... once you have a decent layout concept...

another reason this is a good idea, is because you can do this in 5 minutes in front of your client, and get them to help pick one... then by the time they leave, they are "on board" with what you also think is the one worth spending time on, and you can usually spend more time on the first go-round, when the concept is already sort of approved.

GoodPeopleFlags

I have tried to hire designers. They are about the same as programmers. They don't show up, they don't return calls, they f-up my deadlines. I don't have time for coddling some Prima donna designer. I have a business to run.

That's offensive to me and many other designers, I'm sure. You final design sucks. You're full of all kinds of excuses and never take advice. I don't know why you posted this thread to begin with other than wanting attention.
:noway:

Fatboy

That's offensive to me and many other designers, I'm sure. You final design sucks. You're full of all kinds of excuses and never take advice. I don't know why you posted this thread to begin with other than wanting attention.
:noway:

Ya well Addie.......dont know how you work that one out.Plenty of designers around.Here I am sitting in Africa and I bet you if the money is right anyone of the designers on signs 101 will do work for me.

Locals Find!

I need to clarify the designers I am referring to have been the ones I have locally tried to hire. I haven't been able to find any $15 an hour designers. I ran ads all over for local designers. I got people wanting to charge me $65 an hour (Full Retail) and most were just horrible. I actually had one guy come in saying he used photoshop essentials for all his design work. The $49.95 program from Staples.

The few that I was willing to work with. Didn't return phone calls, emails, or anything else. They also were constantly asking for money when I didn't even have them do any work.

So, yes I am burned out on trying to hire someone. I don't have time for that nonsense. I am sure in other larger areas quality designers are available at all price points. They are not available here though.

If I offended a few of you well I am sorry. Maybe you should move down here its sunny and your competition would be a joke.

Edit: I just wanted to say I started this thread to just hash out some ideas. Then I decided to just keep working on them for my own personal gain. I never thought it would actually become a useable design by any means after day 1. I had no intent to mislead anyone about my goals. I was simply trying to learn.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's going to come from that post, but I mean everyone can learn. I don't know why you think he/she can't.. of course it may be your past experiences, and history from being on here that I don't know about.

:popcorn:

Sure anyone can learn but not anyone can be a good designer. If you have no art skills you can only be so good no matter how hard you try. You can't build a solid house without first building a solid foundation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He's his own worst enemy.......... :covereyes: and to think, I thought that title was mine alone. :rolleyes:

SignosaurusRex

I need to clarify the designers I am referring to have been the ones I have locally tried to hire. I haven't been able to find any $15 an hour designers. I ran ads all over for local designers. I got people wanting to charge me $65 an hour (Full Retail) and most were just horrible. I actually had one guy come in saying he used photoshop essentials for all his design work. The $49.95 program from Staples.

The few that I was willing to work with. Didn't return phone calls, emails, or anything else. They also were constantly asking for money when I didn't even have them do any work.

So, yes I am burned out on trying to hire someone. I don't have time for that nonsense. I am sure in other larger areas quality designers are available at all price points. They are not available here though.

If I offended a few of you well I am sorry. Maybe you should move down here its sunny and your competition would be a joke.

Edit: I just wanted to say I started this thread to just hash out some ideas. Then I decided to just keep working on them for my own personal gain. I never thought it would actually become a useable design by any means after day 1. I had no intent to mislead anyone about my goals. I was simply trying to learn.

Keep doing what you have been Addie and you'll keep getting what you have always gotten. 15 bucks an hour? LMFAO!!! You get what you pay for pal. Instead of F-ing around for over a week and wasting your time as well as others, you could have easily hired someone for good money to put together a damn nice layout/design, done the job, marked up the cost of design and gotten paid. Even a good broker knows his limitations. :banghead:

CanuckSigns

When i started reading this thread, i tried to give Addie the benefit of the doubt and believe he was trying to hone his design skills, but as I got to the end and he still wasn't listening to the great advice given to him, I realized he is trolling for attention.

All the designs you posted look like something that comes out of a typical sign shop that doesn't charge for design, and for good reason, you can not charge people for that level of design. The smartest thing you can do is get in contact with a freelance designer, you can PM me if you want a recommendation, and use them on project like this.

I'm far from a amazing designer, so i hire a freelancer when the job calls for something above my skill level. I end up making a lot more money on the job because I am able to upsell the design as a value added service, i'm not going to give out numbers here, but I can usually double the price of a standard sign If I include a great design.

signmeup

It takes all kinds.

Kitchen & Bath needs to be bigger. I would tweak your final thus:

Attachments

• AMKitchen.jpg
    AMKitchen.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 82

Baz

Whatever explanation Addie gives out .. I can no longer believe anything that comes from him ... There is always a come back that he needs to clarify. We never get the whole truth unless he is called on it .. Even then .. I just can't believe any explanations he has ... He's a master at manipulation ... :noway:

CES020

Hire Neato from now on.

What the heck does an hourly rate have to do with anything? If you make $15 per hour and it takes you 8 hours or if you're making $60 and it takes you 1 hour. Which one cost you more?