• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Let me have it both barrels please

Marlene

is this a flag shop or a kitchen & bath gallery? what part of kitchen or bath does any of what you have apply to? American, American what? if all he sells is American made products only, then having that look all "Americany" looking makes sense.

signmeup

Marlene has a very good point but the customer named the business and that's what you end up stuck with. I've never seen a "Canadian Kitchen & Bath" store. It sure sounds stupid. What-are-ya-gonna-do? (shrug)

Marlene

Marlene has a very good point but the customer named the business and that's what you end up stuck with. I've never seen a "Canadian Kitchen & Bath" store. It sure sounds stupid. What-are-ya-gonna-do? (shrug)

after 9/11 a lot of companies cropped up down here with the word American in it, mostly owned by people who are not Americans or by people wanting to throw the word in for a bunch of reasons. the customer did pick the name but the customer also sells kitchen and baths so it's like having the name "Hampster Kitchen & Bath Gallery" it doesn't mean you have to put an actual hampster into the logo if what you are selling is kitchens and baths and not hampsters. some times a name is just a name and shouldn't be the theme unless it really is the theme and this guy sells only American made products as that would be a good reason to play up the name.

signmeup

True Marlene... but anyone who names their business "American" anything is probably expecting some sort of USA based theme. Why bother otherwise?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With the many good designs and layouts you've been shown, you keep going back to your basic idea, which again.... aren't too good. Get rid of them and start new. Don't cling on to bad ideas or structures.

You either mess up color combinations, font usage, spacing, kerning, focal points, too many focal points, have four or five first plane subjects, treat backgrounds like foregrounds and bring everything to the front, competing elements, confusing terminology, constant tension spots and most of all..... no idea of what or why you're doing things. You make changes and can't explain why you're doing them, other than you think........... Get it through your head....... your ideas aren't very good, so listen to some of these people honestly trying to help you. You'll never get this kind of attention in any school or class you go to and spend good money on... especially with your attitude that you know better and have some un-orthodox reason for using the known wrong elements.

Now, you'll say you're taking this all in and have some kinda lame excuse as to how you are listening, but your last 18 attempts all failed and for the same reasons. You made one minor change and expect different results and you know what they say about that kinda thought pattern.

You need to come at this from 3 or 4 totally different views and find one that works and then fine tune it. Don't be giving stoopid excuses every time someone makes a good suggestion. In fact.... just make up any design with your own criteria and make something work, then you won't be stopped by your excuses.

Learn this stuff on your own time and on yourself.... not at someone's expense that is expecting perfection without all of your inadequacies.

Addie, you're a very stubborn person and we've butt heads, but this has nothing to do with that. I'm using my response for others reading this thread months, even years down the road as it might help them... or maybe someone following this thread right now. You can take it or leave it, so don't think this is geared at you personally, but someone in your same shoes whom has very little or no talent for designing, let alone simple layouts.

The last thing is... why are you designing something you can't even fabricate ?? You are designing everything for this person to be wholesaled out. You claim you have a plotter and vinyl capabilities, but you're smothering this design with digital needs all the way through. Why ??

signmeup

I actually really like that. Great job! Simple, and beautiful.
Thanks. I think the idea has potential. An American would be able to tweak the stars and bars properly... (I'm a Canadian so I just winged it)

I looked at the pics of the venue and tried to think of what would fit. Also... can't go too far wrong with Steve C's fonts. (Truckin' in this case)

It would be pretty easy to make it dimensional. Just cut out the shapes from HDU or PVC and glue them to Dibond.

I like it a lot, too, signmeup. My only concern is Bath & Kitchen isn't prominent enough. From a distance it may be easy to see AMERICAN GALLERY and think it was a museum or art gallery or something.

Circleville Signs

I like it a lot, too, signmeup. My only concern is Bath & Kitchen isn't prominent enough. From a distance it may be easy to see AMERICAN GALLERY and think it was a museum or art gallery or something.

This has been my concern throughout this entire thread. The focus of all of Addie's ideas (and therefore the more professional derivative ideas) has been on "American".

That's the wrong focal point...

Fatboy

Addie, just as a matter of interest, what are you charging this client for design? Reason for my question.....the clock is ticking bro! Will it be worth the money at the end considering time spent on the project?

Locals Find!

Addie, just as a matter of interest, what are you charging this client for design? Reason for my question.....the clock is ticking bro! Will it be worth the money at the end considering time spent on the project?

I am not. I am just selling the sign. I really want this client to hire Dan Antonelli and get a complete identity/branding package as his stuff is all over the board design wise. I didn't do most of it I just followed what was already done to try and keep it consistent.

Fatboy

Oh I see. You work is getting much better though.

Without hi- jacking this threat.......what sort of time do you guys give yourselves to come up with the artwork?In over words, from start to end how long will a typical job take on average?

SignManiac

I did these concepts for a local company about ten years ago. Each one different but still using an American theme. I can tell by these that my work has gotten slightly better :)

Attachments

• american.jpg
    american.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 76

SignManiac

My very first design that I put up was to illustrate that exact point. I interpreted Kitchen & Bath as the most important priority with the name second. Gallery third...

Locals Find!

Totally different idea. Trying to follow the advice given by Circleville.

I am sure your going to tell me I screwed up the fonts or something. So, if you think I should have another font. Please tell me which font so I can purchase/download it.

Edit: I did this in black and white for obvious reasons.

Attachments

• shaped-panel-concept-1.jpg
    shaped-panel-concept-1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 72